HP 14 in USB-C Monitor $105 obo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I use an iPad as a second display, usually with duet display as I have a Mac notebook (but I think I remember it also works on PC, but it’s not driverless) but there is also a hardware way using hdmi etc called Luna display.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I use an iPad as a second display, usually with duet display as I have a Mac notebook (but I think I remember it also works on PC, but it’s not driverless) but there is also a hardware way using hdmi etc called Luna display.
I've tried the Duet display solution and was not super thrilled about it; mostly the issue was the refresh rate. That was with a 9.7 Pro, via the Lightning cable.

Edit: Just tried Duet again. Aside from a bit of mouse lag (and audio-video sync issue if watching a video) it seems better than I remember. Set to 60fps, high power, 1536x1152. The 9.7" Pro only transfers at USB2 speeds as opposed to the newer models and all 12.9" models IIRC (USB3), so that may be a factor.

This HP panel is 1080P 60hz and mousing is fluid and videos are smooth, same as the native display.

Another thing to note: it does have backlight bleed with a black screen, typical for IPS panels.

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Joel yes agree duet display is not for all uses.

Just thought to mention it since a lot of people have an iPad and maybe it’s a cheap way when traveling to get more screen space.

Reactions: Joel

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So mine came in.

Thoughts:
  • Packaged well. Original HP box included inside a Fedex shipping box, secured to prevent movement.
  • Surprisingly heavy. 1219g on my kitchen scale with folio/kickstand.
  • Speaking of the kickstand, there's only one angle, which is a bit more "reclined" than I prefer at my desk.
  • No dead pixels that I could tell. Did a test here.
  • Backlight looks slightly dimmer at the corners.
  • Picture quality looks pretty good. Matte screen!!!
  • 6' USB-C cable, port is located on the bottom right corner of the screen. Might cause a problem if you want it to sit immediately to the left of your laptop.
  • IPS backlight bleed is significant. Impossible to ignore with a black screen, and present though not obnoxious when watching videos. Not noticeable with web browsing style use though.
Mine just arrived as well. It still had all of the original packing bits and screen protector on.

In terms of weight, I am right with you on being surprised. It is about as heavy as the Dell XPS 13 9370. Perhaps this one is going in the carryon instead of the briefcase.

Reactions: Joel

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I like the usb c one better as that has native display output function.. Usb 3.0 means you need an additional driver

Reactions: abq