SSD as WORM?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
Seems it's not uncommon around here for people to have big media servers. I'm always looking to make my own media server physically smaller, use less power, and/or more reliable.

It seems to me, media storage (music, movie, picture collections) is ideally suited to WORM devices (write-once, read many). As far as I can tell, there's no true high-capacity WORM media available, at least not at SOHO prices. I like the looks of mdisc, but I'm holding out for a 100x increase in capacity.

Ignoring cost for a second, what about using SSD as WORM drives? In other words, you fill one up, then mount it read-only. What's the expectation for long-term data integrity on an SSD in this scenario? You can do the same with a traditional spinning platter drive, but it's still spinning, consuming power, subject to vibration risk, a head crash, "click of death" after a power cycle, bit rot, etc. SSD at least removes all the mechanical points of failure.

But I realize the NAND memory within an SSD isn't perfect. Have any studies been done that investigate the long-term data integrity of NAND memory? What are the chances of bit rot?

Seeing the review of the Icy Dock 6-in-1 cage made me dream of building a tiny, super low power, silent storage server. Imagine two of those cages in something like the Supermicro SC731 mini-tower and a dozen 1 TB SSDs. Nearly 12 TB of silent, super-fast storage. You could throw in a couple spinning disks (that usually stay powered down) and have some redundancy with snapraid. Or I suppose if you can afford all those SSDs, might as well throw three 4 TB drives in there and have it 100% duplicated.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
I see a decent number of views, but no replies. :)

Anyone have any thoughts? SSD for bulk data storage in general?

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I think good flash memory controllers like Violin - Fusion-io and others check data on a periodic basis in the event there is bit rot. That is the only issue I see.

I am doing this essentially with my 128GB Vertex 1 in my Zalman.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
This wouldn't allow RO, but using ZFS and zpool scrub every so often would keep me at ease for a long time.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
This wouldn't allow RO, but using ZFS and zpool scrub every so often would keep me at ease for a long time.
Can you still do a scrub even if the filesystem is mounted read-only?

That would be closer to what I had in mind, but you'll need extra drives for parity or mirroring if you wanted to correct any rotted bits. I suppose without redundancy ZFS checksums could at least detect bit rot.

I was actually thinking of something similar, using SnapRAID. Looks like it's getting triple and quadruple parity too, so that's kind of neat.

IMO, a "true" WORM drive is like a stone tablet: virtually indestructible, and therefore not prone to any kind of bit rot.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
tlc and mlc might last a month or two tops before bit rot. remember reading does wear nand out too - so all those patrol scrubs cost - the cheaper the flash, the more the cost.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
tlc and mlc might last a month or two tops before bit rot. remember reading does wear nand out too - so all those patrol scrubs cost - the cheaper the flash, the more the cost.
Really, you think only a month or two tops? Ignoring my WORM idea, what about static data on an ordinary drive? For example, OS and application data that goes unchanged for well over two months?

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
If you have a source to back that up I would be interested in reading it.

sybreeder

Oct 8, 2013
Poland
If you have a source to back that up I would be interested in reading it.
I found this on wiki:"Solid state media — such as EPROMs, flash memory and other solid-state drives — stores data using electrical charges, which can slowly leak away due to imperfect insulation. The chip itself is not affected by this, so re-programming it once per decade or so will prevent bit rot. The biggest problem can be finding a clean copy of the chip from which to make the copy; frequently, by the time the user discovers the bit rot, there are no un-damaged chips to use as a master."

Anyway i always thought that only writes can affect disk.