WTB: Managed L3 switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FNtastic

Jun 1, 2015
Update: Found something. Thanks everyone!

I'm looking to upgrade from 10 port Cisco SG300 to something with more ports. Ideally, an SG300-20, or -28, since I am already familiar with the noise level. Don't need PoE. I am open to other brands of switches with similar features and noise level. Please let me know what you have available.

Heatware: Trader Reviews for FNtastic | HeatWare.com

Last edited:

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
I have a Cisco Catalyst 3560G 24 port non-PoE for $40 + shipping and a Catalyst 3750E 48 port non-PoE with dual 10GbE X2 ports and SR optics with LC connectors for $75 + shipping. Both have IP Services (all features) licenses installed. Both have blower fans and are quiet.

Last edited:

FNtastic

Jun 1, 2015
I have a Cisco Catalyst 3560G 24 port non-PoE for $40 + shipping and a Catalyst 3750E 48 port non-PoE with dual 10GbE X2 ports and SR optics with LC connectors for $75 + shipping. Both have IP Services (all features) licenses installed. Both have blower fans and are quiet.
Thank you for posting . I'm hoping to find something a little newer. And, with a web GUI. I'll keep these in mind!

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
If you're looking for NetGears and the like you might have better luck on eBay or reddit's /r/homelabsales. Most people here will probably have stuff which is CLI based management.

Reactions: FNtastic

FNtastic

Jun 1, 2015
If you're looking for NetGears and the like you might have better luck on eBay or reddit's /r/homelabsales. Most people here will probably have stuff which is CLI based management.
Very cool of you. I'll check those out too! Thanks!

I'm fine with CLI. Just that doing it without serial cable is much more convenient at home...

Jollywombat

Sep 27, 2018
I have 3560X's 24 & 48 ports with PoE, IPBase licensing. With or without network module card for 4x SFP connections. I thought you can load the image with the web based manager on the X series but would have to go look again.

I actually might have a few Cisco SF200 & 300s of 24 port variety available as well as we were pulling them out of one of our sites if you are interested in those as well.

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
Not sure if this works with the Xes or just the previous models but if you want to try upgrading those to IP Services:

license right-to-use activate ipservices acceptEULA

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I have two Aruba S2500's
They are quit, and one of them I even put Noctua fans into it so its absolutely silent.
Aruba S2500-48T (None POE 48 port)
Aruba S2500-24P (PoE 24 port)

I am using Layer 3 on them now for inter-vlan routing, and it supports ACL's and all that.
If you are interested let me know and I will see if we can work out something.

MathieuP

Jul 25, 2016
i have a Dell Powerconnect 6248. its been modded so the fans are very quiet and it has 2x10Gb XFP uplinks. There is a gui but i've never actually used it. Let me know if that could interest you.

FNtastic

Jun 1, 2015
I have 3560X's 24 & 48 ports with PoE, IPBase licensing. With or without network module card for 4x SFP connections. I thought you can load the image with the web based manager on the X series but would have to go look again.

I actually might have a few Cisco SF200 & 300s of 24 port variety available as well as we were pulling them out of one of our sites if you are interested in those as well.
Thank you for the reply. I did some quick research on these. It looks like the models listed are all Fast Ethernet. Is that correct? I'm hoping to retain gigabit (all ports on the SG300 are gigabit), or better with this upgrade. Some more SFP connections might be fun. Depending on speed. Can you give me an idea what the speeds are for the Ethernet ports on the switches you have?

I have two Aruba S2500's
They are quit, and one of them I even put Noctua fans into it so its absolutely silent.
Aruba S2500-48T (None POE 48 port)
Aruba S2500-24P (PoE 24 port)

I am using Layer 3 on them now for inter-vlan routing, and it supports ACL's and all that.
If you are interested let me know and I will see if we can work out something.
Thank you for the reply. I've seen others say these can be had for a steal. And, they seem to check all my boxes. I'll take some time to do some more research over the coming days to make sure they fit the bill.

i have a Dell Powerconnect 6248. its been modded so the fans are very quiet and it has 2x10Gb XFP uplinks. There is a gui but i've never actually used it. Let me know if that could interest you.
Thank you for the reply. It looks like some quick research is saying these can be a steal too. And, seems to check all my boxes. I'm also going to spend some time researching this one more closely to make sure it's the right fit.