Draw sata or molex power from pcie slot?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Not sure which subforum this is best for, so here goes.

I'd like to power couple a u.2 nvme ssds in a chassis where this is not possible. The only place you could get power for anything the manufacturer didn't specifically design for, is the pcie bus.

The server supports 75w draw for gpus in pcie slots, so there's a decent amount available. Even the lower pcie 25w draw limit would be acceptable for my anticipated use.

Question here is, can a pcie slot deliver 5v, or only 12v? To my understanding, sata devices commonly require both, and of course molex supplies both voltages as well, so it's possible u.2 expects this voltage available as it uses a sata power connector. If pcie only supplies 12v, I can see why I haven't been able to find an adapter for this up to now.

Has anyone been able to do this before? Are you aware of a product to convert a spare pcie slot to either a molex or sata power adapter. I've looked for a while and can't find anyone talking about this, let alone selling a product for it.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Look at PCIE to M2 adapters with 'extra power' on them I've seen them occasionally.

You can use a PCIE adapter from Funtin to power a 2.5" NVME -- and those are <$50.

It should be possible to get power from PCIE that you can use, but finding a card that ONLY does that may be an issue.

Reactions: funkywizard

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Look at PCIE to M2 adapters with 'extra power' on them I've seen them occasionally.

You can use a PCIE adapter from Funtin to power a 2.5" NVME -- and those are <$50.

It should be possible to get power from PCIE that you can use, but finding a card that ONLY does that may be an issue.
thanks!

funtin model looks pretty good.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
PCIe slots supply 12v and 3.3v. If your device requires 5v, you would need to supply it from something else.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
couple a u.2 nvme ssds
Without knowing your exact nvme SSD model,

Adding 2 nvme ssd with 2 pcie adapter , It is been done all the time , 25w-35w per SSD is pretty easy for pcie to handle.

I have done it with $10 pcie adapter from china.
Only one time , I had problem with P3600 with the cheap $10 adapter.
Other Intel nvme ssd had no problem with the cheap adapter.

Funtin adapter works with everything.

Reactions: funkywizard

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Without knowing your exact nvme SSD model,

Adding 2 nvme ssd with 2 pcie adapter , It is been done all the time , 25w-35w per SSD is pretty easy for pcie to handle.

I have done it with $10 pcie adapter from china.
Only one time , I had problem with P3600 with the cheap $10 adapter.
Other Intel nvme ssd had no problem with the cheap adapter.

Funtin adapter works with everything.
Thanks! Have ordered the funtin and startech to try out.

As to cheaper ones, any models you can recommend or search terms to use to find them?