Supermicro MB w/ USB issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

matkisson

Apr 11, 2017
I recently purchased some X9DRD-LF systems. I have got them fully updated and am using an m.2 to USB SATA adapter as a boot device. I had the devices attached to the external USB ports and they are operational as a boot device for ESX. (much better than USB flash drive performance) I finally got my 9-pin header to USB adapters in the mail today and moved the drives internal to the only USB header on the board (X9DRD-LF only has one USB header). During the post process there are 5 beeps and then the adapters LED goes dark. Obviously something is disabling the USB device during start up but only when connected via the onboard headers.

Has anyone else seen something like this?

FYSA:
Verified all bios settings and ensure all USB ports are enabled.
Ensured BIOS are up to date.
Verified functionality on the device on my desktop both onboard and connected to USB Hub (why not i guess)
Tested the same device on another X9DRD-LF (same exact result)
Booted ISO over IPMI and verified USB device is completely disabled (not seen by OS)

I am stumped.....

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
It really doesn't matter how fast ESXi boot time is. it could be 5 or 10minutes for all I care. ESXi doesn't use the boot drive almost for anything else after boot. It runs all core functions from ram. I say, don't overcomplicate things. Just use a good quality USB drive in USB ports and as long as bios allow boot from USB, you're all set. as for USB header adapter, it probably has a short. Disconnect it and try boot again

matkisson

Apr 11, 2017
The thpught had crossed my mind. The adapters seemed to work fine in my desktop (header to usb port to m.2) I was thinking that maybe the ports on the motherboard were wired differently? Maybe the d+ and d- were reversed? Though I havent seen anything like that. Definately gonna teat tomorrow.

matkisson

Apr 11, 2017
Well this has been debunked. I broke out some jumper cables from the raspberry pi box collecting dust and wired the adapter to the motherboard with the USB data+ and data- wires reversed. Detected the drive perfectly and loaded ESX without a hitch. The strange thing is that the manual shows that the USB pinout is standard and the 9 pin USB port adapter worked fine in my PC. Thinking maybe the pins were backwards in the manual?