5tb seagate 2.5" $100

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
This would go well paired with a Cloud Key Gen2 to use with UniFi protect if I wasn't so mad at UniFi for not offering the controller for virtual deployment.
I know this is kind of a threadjack (ok - its completely a threadjack :)). But what do you mean Unifi doesn't offer "the controller" for virtual deployment?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I know this is kind of a threadjack (ok - its completely a threadjack :)). But what do you mean Unifi doesn't offer "the controller" for virtual deployment?
UniFi Protect, their new platform for NVR. It's only available if you buy their generation two cloud key. And they've all but stopped development on UniFi Video which is what Protect replaces. So it leaves many of us between a rock and a hard place.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
UniFi Protect, their new platform for NVR. It's only available if you buy their generation two cloud key. And they've all but stopped development on UniFi Video which is what Protect replaces. So it leaves many of us between a rock and a hard place.
Got it. Disappointing. But its not the first time Ubiquiti disappoints (anyone remember mFi?).

Since I threadjacked - $100 for the 5TB external is a GREAT deal.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
it's available on google express from Costco as well. you can knock down $25 with Coupon NEWAPP25 if you are new customer.

Google Express

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
i been thinking of getting this for xbox storage addon. Past experience with seagate 4tb 2.5 external has me pausing (i had it replace under warranty every year for the last three years i had warranty on it) So worried about it dying and if its fast enough for xbox for games to be stored on it.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
i been thinking of getting this for xbox storage addon. Past experience with seagate 4tb 2.5 external has me pausing (i had it replace under warranty every year for the last three years i had warranty on it) So worried about it dying and if its fast enough for xbox for games to be stored on it.
These are SMR disks, stay the **** away from them for any type of gaming. They are wretched. Go spend your money on an EasyStore 10TB drive. For the additional $50 you get damn near unbeatable performance out of a solid disk that's PMR and not shingled.

Better yet go buy an SSD drive and stick it in a USB enclosure, they are dirt cheap and faster.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
These are SMR disks, stay the **** away from them for any type of gaming. They are wretched. Go spend your money on an EasyStore 10TB drive. For the additional $50 you get damn near unbeatable performance out of a solid disk that's PMR and not shingled.
No they're not. You posted the same wrong information in the last thread about this several months ago and were corrected, but you still persist in posting it.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
This one?

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ckup-plus-5tb-2-5-external-hdd-eur-135.18198/

Nope still not seeing where these are PMR drives and not the SMR drives.
No, the link is in my post. I have two of them and have benchmarked them. They're not SMR. They will sustain 100+MB/sec writes indefinitely. That's not something a SMR drive will do (unless Seagate has some special SMR magic in which case I don't care that they're SMR because they perform like PMR).

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018

Better yet go buy an SSD drive and stick it in a USB enclosure, they are dirt cheap and faster.
I was just going to ask about this. Last I checked the largest 2.5" PMR drive they make is 4TB and I'm not sure they're actually selling them new in enclosures like this anymore.

No, the link is in my post. I have two of them and have benchmarked them. They're not SMR. They will sustain 100+MB/sec writes indefinitely. That's not something a SMR drive will do (unless Seagate has some special SMR magic in which case I don't care that they're SMR because they perform like PMR).
Alright, now I'm confused.

I was under the impression that SMR will perform quite well on a first write pass, even up to 100MB/s, but performance falls apart when you update data in place later. Have you run any rewrite or random rewrite tests against the drives?

Would you mind pulling the model number of yours? I'm actually looking for higher capacity 2.5" drives to drop into one of my HP DL380Ps and I'd love to find a definitive answer.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Alright, now I'm confused.

I was under the impression that SMR will perform quite well on a first write pass, even up to 100MB/s, but performance falls apart when you update data in place later. Have you run any rewrite or random rewrite tests against the drives?

Would you mind pulling the model number of yours? I'm actually looking for higher capacity 2.5" drives to drop into one of my HP DL380Ps and I'd love to find a definitive answer.
That's not my understanding how SMR works. FWIW, they behave the same as any PMR HDD I've used. I haven't seen any difference in behavior when copying data to them or other file operations.

Model number of what specifically? I didn't shuck them. They're still in the external enclosures.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
That's not my understanding how SMR works. FWIW, they behave the same as any PMR HDD I've used. I haven't seen any difference in behavior when copying data to them or other file operations.

Model number of what specifically? I didn't shuck them. They're still in the external enclosures.
Any write that updates in-place data must also rewrite one or more adjacent tracks. There's a lot of extra rewriting happening behind the scenes, they're definitely not ideal for performance.

This presentation is really detailed:

Jump to around 4:00, he covers the big issue with the SMR approach.

I'm definitely not saying SMR is bad by any stretch, from a cost standpoint there's a huge gain, but people should definitely be aware of their performance characteristics before purchasing.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Any write that updates in-place data must also rewrite one or more adjacent tracks. There's a lot of extra rewriting happening behind the scenes, they're definitely not ideal for performance.

This presentation is really detailed:

Jump to around 4:00, he covers the big issue with the SMR approach.

I'm definitely not saying SMR is bad by any stretch, from a cost standpoint there's a huge gain, but people should definitely be aware of their performance characteristics before purchasing.
They exhibit no performance characteristics of SMR drives. I wrote over 3TB of data to the drive and saw no slowdowns. If this is the performance level possible with a latest gen of SMR drives I guess I don't care anymore. I've yet to see anything suggesting that the first write has no performance hit on a SMR drive as you claim.

The people who have the drives don't have any complaints about the performance. Yet you and others come into every thread and warn people about something that doesn't seem to be the case.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016

Using these devices as single USB drives is not a huge issue, sure you can write to it, it'll do just fine. The issue that myself and others have had with these type of drives is when we RAID them and watch all the performance fall apart. Using one on an xbox when I know by performance metrics and self uses is not the best or first choice.

If you are going to use this for some sort of offsite snapshot backup, it'll be fine. Tearing these apart, throwing them in a RAID set (I used them in UnRAID and StorageSpaces to test) I had nothing but wretched speed and performance numbers on.

Reactions: arglebargle

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Using these devices as single USB drives is not a huge issue, sure you can write to it, it'll do just fine. The issue that myself and others have had with these type of drives is when we RAID them and watch all the performance fall apart. Using one on an xbox when I know by performance metrics and self uses is not the best or first choice.

If you are going to use this for some sort of offsite snapshot backup, it'll be fine. Tearing these apart, throwing them in a RAID set (I used them in UnRAID and StorageSpaces to test) I had nothing but wretched speed and performance numbers on.
We're going in circles. Can a SMR drive sustain 100+MB/sec writes indefinitely or not? All the reviews I've seen of them says no.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
SMR drives that can be host managed are faster than PMR drives. But today they have slower write performance. They are still great when it comes to read speeds though, and for games good read speeds are what matters.