MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN Overview and Unboxing

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Just wanted to add my rant. yesterday i was lucky to start deploying that switch with only 5 ports(1 eth, 2 sfp+ aoc, 2 sfp mm).
I was running swos, because that's just enough for the basic tasks at home. But.
After plugging forth SFP it started whistling, idk what exactly that was but it wasn't the particular SFP or port, I checked that by moving them around.
As I started moving things around in order to find a config that would not be killing my hearing it stopped accepting any new SFPs.
I have A LOT of modules, sm, mm, rj45, both in sfp and sfp+, including several models from mikrotik itself that worked fine in 305. Nothing worked.
At which point i just moved everything back to my 305 and threw the thing into the closet, that is for parts now. Some parts of my network are non-negotiatable to accept something like this which doesn't work even at first deploy, even not fully loaded.
Holy shoot guys, that's ridiculous. Maybe it would have worked with routeros, which would be a real overkill but even then I doubt my hearing will be fine after an hour next to this thing(even if it's under the table), and I can never be sure it won't just fail and I have no spare. I do have spare 305 which is pre-configured the same way. Plug and play. Hopefully I wont have to.