Remote Backup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
Hi there, I am looking for a remote backup solution (windows to windows) and I came across "Syncrify" is someone using it? I need it for ~10 clients with 100GB each.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I have been using syncbackpro for several years. Extremely powerful and easy to use.
I second this, been using it for years.

FYI syncbackxx don't seem to support backup to cloud storage...closest you get is SFTP!
The pro version supports cloud backup to the following:

Amazon S3™ (and compatible), Google Drive™, Microsoft Azure™, Microsoft OneDrive™, OneDrive for Business (Office 365), SharePoint™ (Office 365), Dropbox™, Box, SugarSync™, Amazon Drive™
New to V8 Google Storage™, OpenStack and Backblaze™ B2

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
Using Syncrify for more then a year now with multiple clients and I am very happy with it

What I needed was
- secure wan connection (https) for backup to run
- ransomware protection (in case files are encrypted backup will not run)
- incremental backup
- file versioning
- email report for every backup
- encrypted backup
- retain deleted files X days

MrCalvin

IT consultant, Denmark
Aug 22, 2016
Denmark
www.wit.dk
You right, I now see it has cloud support in the Pro version, I didn't notice this at my first look at the homepage. I my view it's one of the more important features, but it's just listed in the feature list and not emphasized on the site.

Just evaluated it and here's my review after about 1½ hour of configuration, backup and restore tests:
  • The engine/code seems very stable, trustworthy and "high quality"....I cannot say the same for many of the alternatives out there.
  • It's basically a sync tool with added backup features, and that shows! For backup purpose it makes the use and config very cumbersome, and I never had a safe feeling that everything was configured correctly in the sense of having a trustworthy backup. It takes an unnecessary long time to setup a backup job because of all the sync feature you need go through. You can of cause just use the defaults, but then you cannot be sure you get the backup you want without missing files or something gets deleted, which can happen with this program! So you actually have to go through them all to be sure.
  • The restore? OMG! As a main rule, the restore logic is to turn the backup profile 180 degree....that is, you will sync the opposite way with ALL the same configuration settings as the backup profile, including deleting settings! E.g. if your backup-setup is set to delete folders in destination which, no longer exist in source, then this will also be the case when you restore, just the other way around! So files/folders can be deleted on your local hard disk if they don't exist in your backup! You can work-around this, and SyncBack will also give you a warning, but the whole logic is just very bad! Again a symptom of this being a sync tool and not a "real" backup tool. And again, it's very cumbersome to do a simple restore of .e.g. a simple file. Because you have to check all settings to be sure nothing goes wrong, e.g. deleting files on you local hard disk.
  • Cumbersome to have it run as a service...never succeed, I'm sure I could, if I invested more time on it.
  • Schedule: There are both a schedule in the backup-job itself and in the "main" application. Which has higher priority and how they interact I don't know. Again, after an 1½ hour I was not willing to invest more time, I'm sure there are some logic, but again, it's something that's cumbersome and time consuming to user and setup.
  • A little more expensive compared to the others. I'm sure it's fair priced if you need a sync tool, but for a backup tools you pay for a lot of configuration options that are more an enemy than your friend.
  • Fast, again a result of the high-quality engine/code.

Overall, I'll keep looking for an alternative.
But I might come back because of the high quality code, and then just accept that I have to "waste" a lot of time on configuration and testing and hope I'll never need to do a restore. Not because it will not work, but because it will steal your precious time.

I expect IamSpartacus and/or the vendor would might has some objections of my review.
But this was my impression after 1½ hour...and that's the whole point. If you're not able to get things right after 1½ of testing and configuration, then the logic and design of the program is to be blamed and not the user.

A shame the vendos hasn't made a dedicated backup tool, I'm sure it would be one of the best.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Check out duplicati, I've been using for a year to backup multiple machines to a offsite box running minio (=s3 clone).

MrCalvin

IT consultant, Denmark
Aug 22, 2016
Denmark
www.wit.dk
I did test it several times. I don't trust it and don't like the way the engine works. And for me it seem rather slow. Not the transfer itself but everything else. I might be mistaken, but that's my impression.
For now I think I end up using restic. The only downside is the lack of compression. But then again, many files formats are already compressed (mediafiles, PDF's, Office files) so the problem isn't as big as it has been.