Corsair MP510 SSD no TRIM support on Linux

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MrCalvin

IT consultant, Denmark
Aug 22, 2016
Denmark
www.wit.dk
MP510_card.jpg mp510_box.jpg
I couldn't resist the recent price-drop on SSD's so I got myself a pair of 240GB Corsair MP510 M.2 NVMe to get my SuperMicro's dual M.2 PCIe adapter to shine. I never got it to work with my two "old" 32GB Optanes, but that's another story.

Back to the Corsair drive. When I try to discard the drive I get this error:
#fstrim -v /
fstrim: /: FITRIM ioctl failed: Input/output error
Maybe the drive was to cheap after all!

discard.jpg

Maybe the other drive works better, I'll try in the nearest future.

UPDATE
Tried to discard the other drive and it works 2 out of 10! Hmmm, not good

Last edited:
Reactions: eva2000

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I never got it to work with my two "old" 32GB Optanes, but that's another story.
Another story indeed - optane is bit-addressable (i.e. individual bits can be read from and written to) and therefore has no need for trim. Trim is mostly there to work around the fact that NAND flash works in pages that are considerably larger than the blocks filesystems use.

MrCalvin

IT consultant, Denmark
Aug 22, 2016
Denmark
www.wit.dk
Just got a confirmation from Corsair support that this drive is not supported on Linux, WTF!
If wonder if the TRIM doesn't works on Windows either!? Are the low-level storage TRIM command really that different on Linux and Windows?
Haven't had time to test it on a Windows box.
I know this is a budget drive, but still, no support of TRIM on an NVMe SSD (at least on Linux) that's just not acceptable.

Still no firmware updates, not even after informing their support of the problem, they just chickened out the easy way by saying it's not supported on Linux!

I request an RMA and see if a replacement have the same issue (if I get one).

Last edited:

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
If wonder if the TRIM doesn't works on Windows either!? Are the low-level storage TRIM command really that different on Linux and Windows?
I think there's likely a fair few differences in the implementation; for instance I was bitten by a data corruption bug on a Crucial M500 SSD that only manifested itself in linux - the drive advertised support for queued TRIM but didn't actually implement it; windows I don't think uses queued TRIM.

Even on linux you've got the option of using discard (i.e. TRIM active all the time) or running a periodic fstrim (better IMHO).

I request an RMA and see if a replacement have the same issue (if I get one).
Given their hostility to linux I think you're better off buying an SSD from a vendor that provides linux support (which unfortunately means ruling out perfectly good NVME drives from WD and HP as well).