Slow diskperfomance in virtual guest

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Daniel Jonasson

Feb 22, 2019
Hi!

I have configured a Dell Poweredge T20 with a Xeon proccessor, 24 GB ECC memory .
I have four 256 GB SSD connected to a raid 10 with raid controller LSI SAS 9211-8.
Four 2 TB HDD in raid 5 within Intel raidcontroller (integrated) as storage volume.
OS = Server 2019 Datacenter running HyperV. Installed on the SSD-volume.

Speeds of copying/transfering files are above 100 MB/sec within the host regardless of transfering files on the SSD volume or storage volume. However when making a virtual machine (also Server 2019) speeds are limited to about 10 MB/sec on the storage volume and 70 MB/sec on the SSD volume.
Doing the same thing directly on the host, tranfering files are about 300 MB/sec in the SSD volume and 80 MB/sec on the storage volume.
It can´t be network related since when I´m copying files within the guest/virtual machine the speeds are the same.
Why is the host so slow on writing to disk? Reading is far faster.

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
Where did you fit all those drives in that T20 ? What model are the SSD`s and HDD`s ? Datacenter on a T20 ?

Daniel Jonasson

Feb 22, 2019
Where did you fit all those drives in that T20 ? What model are the SSD`s and HDD`s ? Datacenter on a T20 ?
There is 4 S-ata connectors on the motherboard which I use för the HDD´s. Also got a raid controller, LSI SAS 9211-8i, that supports up to eight more disks. For now I have 4 SSD connected.
The HDD´s are three Hitachi (HDS722020ALA330) and one Seagate barracuda ST2000DM006-2DM164.
Yes, datacenter edition due to license limit to only two virtual machines in server standard.

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
That first 2GB/s transfer got into RAM and then it slowly goes in D: ...
Do a crystaldiskmark on D: / RAID5 on a 2GB file and check writes

And standard edition is not limited to only 2 VM`s it only gives you 2 FREE Windows Server VM`s

Daniel Jonasson

Feb 22, 2019
Thanks!
True about licensing.
I´m doing crystaldiskmark on the host at the moment. When finished I´ll make one on the guest as well. I´ll be back with results.

Daniel Jonasson

Feb 22, 2019
Pretty equal results on the host and on the guest. So thoose fast tranfers on the host was due to RAM?
Should I consider raid 10 instead? I have tried enable and disable write cache without any major change in speed.

Attachments

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
Yes, that was the RAM, if you check resource monitor you will see a ram increase usage and 100% disk usage on D: even after it shows the transfer is complete, it will copy in background from ram.
If you want parity raid you need a good controller with cache and BBU. For what you have you should go Raid 10.
You did not tell what model are the SSD`s.

Daniel Jonasson

Feb 22, 2019
Thanks!
Samsung MZ-7PD2560/0H7 is the SSD´s.
Maybee I have to reconfigure. Doing raid 10 with 2 TB disks would not last so long. Pherhaps I´ll wait untill I can put my hands on a couple of 8 TB or more.
I was looking at running Unraid instead but since I´m running HyperV on my other server, hyperV would be easier. Pherhaps doing some Live Migration. This server will mostly serve movies so the data is not that critical. Read/write performance and amount of TB storage are priotorized.

Last edited:

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
I have bad experience with samsung consumer ssd`s in raid, a lot of errors and very slow write after 4-5 months. If you want ssd`s in RAID go with Intel DC S4510.
Live Migration only works if the servers are in a domain.