Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

minorseocnd

Dec 31, 2018
Hi all. I'm wondering if I could get some assistance. I admittedly have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm having fun doing it.

I picked up an LB4M a year ago and have been using it as an unmanaged switch. Over the holidays this year, I had a few weeks off so decided to try my hand at 10Gbe. I picked up some PCIe cards, transceivers, and some fiber cable. I connected the card, plugged the transceivers in, and finally the fiber. I then looked at the uplink status lights on the switch. Unlit. I reset the switch to default settings. Nothing.

Am I missing something? I've made sure that I matched my fiber to to the transceivers (MM).

k0ste

Feb 4, 2018
Hi all. I'm wondering if I could get some assistance. I admittedly have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm having fun doing it.

I picked up an LB4M a year ago and have been using it as an unmanaged switch. Over the holidays this year, I had a few weeks off so decided to try my hand at 10Gbe. I picked up some PCIe cards, transceivers, and some fiber cable. I connected the card, plugged the transceivers in, and finally the fiber. I then looked at the uplink status lights on the switch. Unlit. I reset the switch to default settings. Nothing.

Am I missing something? I've made sure that I matched my fiber to to the transceivers (MM).
What is your another hardware? Cards, SPF, OS, Kernel module?

minorseocnd

Dec 31, 2018
What is your another hardware? Cards, SPF, OS, Kernel module?
  • Cards: Dell Y40PH (Broadcom 57810S). One in Tower NAS, one in R720
  • SPF+: Dell Y3KJN SR 850 NM.
  • Cable: LC/LC Multimode OM3 50/125
  • I've enabled bnx2x on both Debian hosts (Proxmox). Interfaces enp65s0f0 & enp65s0f1 show up on both machines. I created Linux Bridge interfaces within Proxmox using these and assigned them, one by one, to a Windows VM for testing. Neither worked.
    • Tower NAS: 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0
    • R720: 192.168.3.2 255.255.255.0

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Has anyone have the management interface (on a VLAN, not on the service port) half-disappear? I can see the switch with ping and nmap, and 23/80 show filtered. ARP tables on PC and adjacent switch also show it in the right place - but neither a web browser nor telnet will connect. Just when I wanted to throw another VLAN on it too.

k0ste

Feb 4, 2018
Has anyone have the management interface (on a VLAN, not on the service port) half-disappear? I can see the switch with ping and nmap, and 23/80 show filtered. ARP tables on PC and adjacent switch also show it in the right place - but neither a web browser nor telnet will connect. Just when I wanted to throw another VLAN on it too.
Can you post your sh run?

Kirill Harkin

Mar 25, 2018
My config is not a standard one, but maybe you can extrapolate what you need:

network protocol none
network parms 10.16.10.14 255.255.255.0 10.16.10.1

vlan database
vlan 666,1601,1610
vlan name 1610 "Network Management"

network mgmt_vlan 1610

ip ssh server enable
ip ssh protocol 2
no ip telnet server enable

configure

no ip domain lookup
ip domain name "network.com"

username "admin" password <long_hash_string> level 15 encrypted
aaa authentication login "RADIUS" radius local
aaa session-id unique
radius server host auth "10.16.10.250" name "RADIUS1"
radius server key auth "10.16.10.250" encrypted <long_hash_string>

line telnet
login authentication RADIUS
length 0
exit

line ssh
login authentication RADIUS
length 0
exit

interface 0/49
storm-control broadcast level 1
storm-control multicast level 1
load-interval 30
description 'RB4011iGS (sfp1)'
spanning-tree bpdufilter
mtu 9216
vlan pvid 666
vlan participation auto 1
vlan participation include 1601,1610
vlan tagging 1601,1610
lldp transmit
lldp receive
exit

exit

21rkosta

Apr 4, 2019

I couldn't figure out how to run the switch in an unmanaged way. I know very little about networking and I want to run this switch unmanaged style but I can't figure out how to get it working at all

Visseroth

Jan 23, 2016
I couldn't figure out how to run the switch in an unmanaged way. I know very little about networking and I want to run this switch unmanaged style but I can't figure out how to get it working at all
Just set the login password to what you want. Take note of it somewhere. All the ports are VLAN 1 by default which is the automatic default of most if not all switches and leave the rest be. It will work without doing anything else to it.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
All the ports are turned off by default. You need to turn them on. Then it works like an unmanaged switch.

Visseroth

Jan 23, 2016
I forgot about that, or just simply didn't have that issue.

To re-enable all ports do the following...

Login

enable
(enter password if any or just hit enter)
configure
no shutdown all
exit
exit
logout

21rkosta

Apr 4, 2019
I tried that but I could not get my switch to grab an IP when in dhcp mode (which i presume you need for internet access for ports of the switch correct?). For some reason both of the lights on the ethernet ports when I try to plug into the switch flash orange always. I have tried the router firmware with web interface and the switch firmware with web interface (the less buggy one, like 1.2.7... or something).

Visseroth

Jan 23, 2016
The console is the most stable and safest way to make changes to the switch, at least to my understanding.
If you're unable to determine the IP of the switch then it may be set to DHCP on the management port.
The management port is another switch port dedicated to only switch management. Try plugging the management port directly into one of the other 48 ports and see if it pulls a address.
If not you may need to grab a serial console cable and use the console port to make changes.
If you're able to access the web interface but not the console then chances are either SSH, Telnet or both services have been disabled. Make sure one, the other or both are enabled. I prefer SSH as it is more secure than telnet. The web address will be the same address as the console address
Applications like Putty will allow you to access the console of the switch either via Telnet, SSH or serial.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

21rkosta

Apr 4, 2019
I had at one point set the management port to dhcp but have since turned dhcp off for it and have tried to get it working on the actual switch side. I am using a serial cable to interface with the switch

Kirill Harkin

Mar 25, 2018
I had at one point set the management port to dhcp but have since turned dhcp off for it and have tried to get it working on the actual switch side. I am using a serial cable to interface with the switch
So did you get it to work in an unmanaged way?

If not, run these 2 commands:

show port all
show vlan port all