Intel Atom C3758 Benchmarks and Review An 8-Core Denverton

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm a little confused by the offerings by SM for these boards. The c3758 seems like a prime networking solution chip yet every single board comes with at least 12 SATA ports.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
No power numbers?
For the embedded SoCs, I am having the team publish numbers at the platform level. In the sub 50W TDP SoC space we are at the point where onboard devices can have a >25% impact on overall system power consumption. In and fully configured systems the SoC can be less than 25% of the overall system's power consumption. Since one cannot swap CPUs from board to board, power is taken at the board level.

My Supermicro A2SDi-8C+HLN4F review is getting pushed due to tomorrow's series starting. Currently, due March 1 go-live but pieces are moving. From that piece (on 120V):
  • Power off BMC only: 4.9W
  • OS Idle: 14.1W
  • 100% Load: 32.7W
1GbE networking helps a lot.

Reactions: gigatexal

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I'm a little confused by the offerings by SM for these boards. The c3758 seems like a prime networking solution chip yet every single board comes with at least 12 SATA ports.
Likely its just a case of managing the number of configurations they need to build and stock. Since the HSIO ports are native on the SoC exposing them as SATA is just a matter of a few pennies for connectors. By including them on the board they can sell the same SKU as a network board or as a file server. Cheaper to manage 1 SKU than 2 or more.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Likely its just a case of managing the number of configurations they need to build and stock.
My sense is that this is spot on. With the full set of HSIO ports, it is an easy way to add functionality.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Likely its just a case of managing the number of configurations they need to build and stock. Since the HSIO ports are native on the SoC exposing them as SATA is just a matter of a few pennies for connectors. By including them on the board they can sell the same SKU as a network board or as a file server. Cheaper to manage 1 SKU than 2 or more.
Good point. Just feels so unused in a potential firewall/router build but I guess that increases resale value in the future.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
My Supermicro A2SDi-8C+HLN4F review is getting pushed due to tomorrow's series starting. Currently, due March 1 go-live but pieces are moving. From that piece (on 120V):
Wow that’s low ! Compare that to the 16 core version...

https://www.servethehome.com/superm...ore-intel-atom-c3955-mitx-motherboard-review/
  • OS Idle: 25.1W
  • Single Thread Maximum: 31.8W
  • 100% Load: 47.2W
11 watts less at idle I would not have guessed.
Can almost run 2 x 8C in a cluster for the same power ;)

Reactions: gigatexal

trippehh

Oct 29, 2015
I've had this board in production since mid 2018. Other than some initial Linux ixgbe driver bugs related to ipsec offload which Intel solved quickly, it has been solid. Plopped a couple 10G ports in it as well. While it struggles a bit to route a single 10Gbps flow, spread over multiple flows it routes it all like a champ (at non-crazy packet sizes.)