Disable proxmox host ipv6 dhcp on WAN port

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cape

Oct 28, 2015
I migrated a node from ESXi to Proxmox today which among other things has a pfSense VM, and therefore a WAN port. I've set the WAN port up as a normal OVS bridge and passed it to pfsense, and everything works as expected.
However, I just noticed that the vmbr interface on the Proxmox host grabbed a ipv6 dhcp address from my ISP, and happily exposes ssh etc to world :eek:

I've manually removed it with ip a del 2001:... dev vmbr1 for now, but this was a nasty surprise! The UI doesn't seem to expose a "don't dhcp6" when creating bridges, any drawbacks to setting it in /etc/network/interfaces manually? I suppose there a risk Proxmox will remove it if I use the UI later...
Any other tips and tricks I should be aware of when having a WAN bridge on Proxmox?

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
I don't know about DHCPv6, but I had such problems with SLAAC; editing /etc/sysctl.conf and enabling IPv6 forwarding (the comment there says something about SLAAC did the trick.

I use that in VMs with a single interface, where I don't want them to have a v6 address. YMMV.