Peripheral Temp...what is it? [PIC]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
My pfsense box running on a SuperMicro A1SRi-2758F has been randomly rebooting about once per week and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. I have the box dumping syslogs to a remote server and there is nothing at all in the log when the system goes down. All I see is entries of the box starting up as if from cold boot.

So I'm thinking either hardware of heat issue. Looking at my IPMI sensors I'm seeing the following:

Peripheral and DIMM1 temp look a little high. Does anyone even know what component the peripheral temp would be referencing on this board?

Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Atom Boards | A1SRi-2758F

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
"The system and peripheral temperatures represent the local inlet and outlet air temperatures on the motherboard, respectively. The reasonable temperatures for system and peripheral depend on chassis cooling designs and system operating or ambient temperatures. Based on the information provided, it is hard to tell what the reasonable temperature ranges are for system and peripheral temperatures."

- some random answer from SM tech support

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
"The system and peripheral temperatures represent the local inlet and outlet air temperatures on the motherboard, respectively. The reasonable temperatures for system and peripheral depend on chassis cooling designs and system operating or ambient temperatures. Based on the information provided, it is hard to tell what the reasonable temperature ranges are for system and peripheral temperatures."
Is there some information I could provide that would make it easier to tell what would be reasonable temperatures for this system?

Reactions: Dawg10

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
Is there some information I could provide that would make it easier to tell what would be reasonable temperatures for this system?
I'm just reading from the SM site. Your board max's out at 60C so I don't see a problem there. The System temp looks funky if it is indeed the inlet air temp.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm just reading from the SM site. Your board max's out at 60C so I don't see a problem there. The System temp looks funky if it is indeed the inlet air temp.
I'm using a fanless case so that could be the reason for the funky temps. @PigLover you ever have any heat issues (other than the CPU since that stays cool) with your Akasa cases? I push my pfsense box pretty hard with 1Gbps VPN.

Akasa Thermal Solution

Dawg10

Associate
Dec 24, 2016
The DIMM looks to be the hottest component; any chance of adding a heat spreader or moving to DDR3L?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
The DIMM looks to be the hottest component; any chance of adding a heat spreader or moving to DDR3L?
I can try and find a heatspreader of some kind. Just hard to find RAM cooling options for SoDIMM memory.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I wouldn't say those temps are any cause for concern and they're nowhere near the upper critical limits of what SM normally put in their IPMI thresholds; UNC should typically be 80℃. Additionally, if the system were shutting down due to temperature, it should show up in the IPMI assert logs. Try and install ipmitool if you haven't already to check this from within the OS.

I assume there's no signs at all of kernel panics?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I wouldn't say those temps are any cause for concern and they're nowhere near the upper critical limits of what SM normally put in their IPMI thresholds; UNC should typically be 80℃. Additionally, if the system were shutting down due to temperature, it should show up in the IPMI assert logs. Try and install ipmitool if you haven't already to check this from within the OS.

I assume there's no signs at all of kernel panics?

Nope. No kernel panic. Log is clean until I see startup messages so it's as if it's been hard reset.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Nothing on the local system log/console as well as the remote syslog as well I take it?

So nothing in the system log or IPMI log at all then...? Assuming you're using using ECC memory and there's no report of memory problems either I'd consider either power delivery or storage issues next... are you using the bundled DC adapter?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
So nothing in the system log or IPMI log at all then...? Assuming you're using using ECC memory and there's no report of memory problems either I'd consider either power delivery or storage issues next... are you using the bundled DC adapter?
I'm going to do a memtest this weekend and I'll check the ipmi logs as well. Yes using the bundled DC adapter.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I've not had any issues with temps using SM C2000 boards in the Akasa case. Your temps look fine to me. A little warmer than some would like, but well within tolerance for the board.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Not necessarily, the IPMI log should show if there are correctable or uncorrectable errors (`ipmitool sel list` if you've got it installed). pfsense might show things in the system logs if it uses something similar to edac-utils for ECC logging (I don't have a pfsense system with ECC though).

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Not necessarily, the IPMI log should show if there are correctable or uncorrectable errors (`ipmitool sel list` if you've got it installed). pfsense might show things in the system logs if it uses something similar to edac-utils for ECC logging (I don't have a pfsense system with ECC though).
Ipmitool can be installed on a remote system like a linux box and I can run the commands remotely?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
As long as it can talk to the IPMI interface, then yes. But IIRC it's installable as an additional package as well.