Digging my way out of a mistake

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

The Gecko

Jan 4, 2015
Background:
I own a Lenovo x3650 M4 2U server with E5-2600 v1 processors and 24x16GB RAM. I purchased two E5-2667 v2 processors ($330) and later realized that the x3650 M4 requires a motherboard upgrade to handle the newer procs. The current motherboard is model 00Y8457. Similar models are 00Y8499/00MV221/00MV220. The models that accept v2 processors are 00AM209/00MV219.

Sadly, the CPU vendor does not accept returns. This beings my efforts to dig myself out of this hole.

Option 1:
Buy the replacement motherboard, gut the x3650 M4, and try to get it running with the new equipment. This is my primary server and to take it down for an upgrade would be a huge impact to me, my job, and my family. Furthermore, there is no guarantee of success. This option starts at $450 and goes up quickly. I don't really like the 2U form-factor of this server. 4U is much better suited to my needs.

I looked through my server rack and found a couple of unused 4U Supermicro CSE-846 ABC-03 chassis with plenty of 1KW power supplies.

Option 2:
Buy the Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+ REV 1.20 motherboard with heat sinks from ebay and try to fit it into the CSE-846 ABC-03 chassis. Problem is, "ABC-03" is at most "Revision L", and the X9DR3-LN4F+ wants a "Revision M" chassis. This [H]ardForum post suggests retrofitting the motherboard is a possibility, but would require retail/aftermarket heat sinks and fans that provides and uses a heat sink back-plate instead of screwing into the Revision M chassis. The motherboard starts at around $250. I don't know what aftermarket heatsink/fans will cost, nor do I know which will fit. Add at least $50 twice for cooling.

Option 3:
Buy a chassis with motherboard, heatsinks, fans, power supplies, and use my new procs and old RAM. Ebay has a SuperMicro CSE-846 with a X9DRi-F motherboard for $500. It is a running unit, so I know all the parts fit. The X9DRi-F motherboard will accept the E5-2667 v2 processors, but only has 16 DIMM slots. My available RAM would be reduced by one third. Having the full 384GB of RAM is great for giving ZFS and my VMs/projects room to breath.

Option 4:
Sell the processors.

Option 5:
* This is where you come in. I spent $330 on some nice processors, but it seems like the only way to use them is to spend more money. What suggestions can you offer?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
Whats your goal? No matter what route you take here you'll be selling something (either your old motherboard, old chassis, or the new processors).

Least intrusive would be to just sell the new processors and get a new set of v1 procs. But why are you upgrading to begin with? Would dual e5-2690 v1's be enough processing power for you?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'd want to run V2 so I would do what it takes to get there with the least time\effort\stress :)
This may be selling the V2 CPUs now, and going that route in the future too :)

Reactions: cactus

The Gecko

Jan 4, 2015
Whats your goal? No matter what route you take here you'll be selling something (either your old motherboard, old chassis, or the new processors).

Least intrusive would be to just sell the new processors and get a new set of v1 procs. But why are you upgrading to begin with? Would dual e5-2690 v1's be enough processing power for you?
My existing procs are 2x E5-2620 (6C @2.0Ghz), so a 2690 v1 is a nice update. I really want some more single threaded speed for some of the workloads. The extra two cores would also be put to good use.

If you are dead set on V2 then I'd just buy a new barebones chassis/mobo for the 2667 procs, then migrate your existing server over. I know you were looking at a 4U, but this is a pretty killer deal for a cse-826 with a X9DRI-LN4F+ mobo (24 dimms and v2 support).

SUPERMICRO CSE-826 2U BAREBONE SERVER X9DRI-LN4F+ REV 1.20 12x Trays With Rails
The CSE-826 case only offers half-height slots and I've got several full-height cards to install. But that is a nice price.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
My existing procs are 2x E5-2620 (6C @2.0Ghz), so a 2690 v1 is a nice update. I really want some more single threaded speed for some of the workloads. The extra two cores would also be put to good use.

The CSE-826 case only offers half-height slots and I've got several full-height cards to install. But that is a nice price.
You could also keep an eye out for a CSE-836 barebones chassis, that accepts full height cards too.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Yes you will need to spend some $ I expect. Depending on finances and what you would like to end up with, I would sell the CPUs before you can't recover the purchase price and wait a bit to buy a complete system that you can migrate your workload to. Run them in parallel and migrate at your leisure or upgrade to a e5-2600-v3 /e5-2600-v4 system and sell your DDR3 to offset the upgrade.

If you are looking to retain the investment in the memory, you can get something with 10G for some upgrade on that side as well like
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DRD-CNT+
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X9DRE-TF+
You can also go the WIO route on supermicro and have a few full-height cards in a 2U server.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
I have a Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+-B and I am very sure that the heat sinks do not need to be mounted onto case/chassis.

You can look into a dual e5-2670v1, they are dirt cheap and still give you an upgrade from what you have.