Niagara converts HGST drives between 512e <> 4k and custom too

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
It uses standard Windows SPTI API to do it.

I know Seagate drives with their FastFormat(tm) feature can be done in no time at all, whereas HGST drives have to actually physically format the whole drive block by block. HGST SAS HDD support blocksize-change fast-format too.

I was thinking of just 4K'ing a bunch of 512e HGST drives.

Anyone used this non-public application before? (I believe HGST (WD) give it to their customers such as Dell etc)

opera_7bbSO0lMgs.jpg opera_7bbSO0lMg2s.jpg

I found a link where all the tools can be downloaded > HDD Firmware Downloads. PC-3000 Support Downloads. Data recovery and HDD repair tools

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hkiller47

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Hidden in there is one of those squiggly things with a dot...
As pregnant as pandora's box, a seemingly innocent signpost above a gateway to an arduous pregnancy.

Last edited:

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Yes, to answer your question then. I have used Niagara.
Is it safe to use, as in presuming one wholeheartedly understands the utility's powerfully destructive nature? any maybe not-so-obvious nuances of operation a newcomer should be aware of?

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I know Seagate drives with their FastFormat(tm) feature can be done in no time at all, whereas HGST drives have to actually physically format the whole drive block by block.
No, they don't. Set FFMT in mode page 0 and the Format Unit command (assuming you have SAS drives):
HGST Hard Disk Drive Specification - mode page 0 said:
FFMT (Fast Format Enable) bit allows the formatting of the drive without any writes to the customer media. All format operations are allowed including changing block sizes and manipulating defects. The drive will operate normally after a fast format with the following caveat: since no data is written to any customer data blocks as a result of a Fast Format operation, there is a possibility that a read attempt to any particular block (without having previously written to that block) will result in an unrecoverable data error. This will most likely happen if the block size is changed as every LBA will contain data of an incorrect length and apparently an incorrect starting point. It is also possible to generate an uncorrectable data error without changing block sizes if the defect list is shortened and previously bad blocks become visible in the customer address space. Of course ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE WILL BE LOST as the result of any format operation and so any attempt to read blocks which have not been written to will result in unpredictable behavior.
HGST Hard Disk Drive Specification - Format Unit said:
FFMT specifies the scope of the format command.
FFMT Description
00b
Perform defect management and initialize media to the new format.
01b Perform defect management but do not initialize the media. May result in any medium error on read before write.
10b Change block size only. May only be used on transitions of physically compatible size such as between 512 + end-to-end protection and 520. May result in end-to-end protection errors on read before write.
11b Reserved

Reactions: Dreece

maes

Nov 11, 2018
Now the really good case use (afaik) would be to see if it also works on unusual (say, the annoying 520s) blocksize drives too.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So just tried running niagara but the version on the ftp seems to have expired...

upload_2019-3-24_13-1-29.png

anyone knows of another source?;)

redoz

Feb 8, 2020
I'm trying to figure out how to format my WD/HGST HC320 into 4Kn but I'm having no luck, does anyone know of a way of accomplishing this?

Perihelion

Feb 17, 2020
So just tried running niagara but the version on the ftp seems to have expired...

View attachment 10785

anyone knows of another source?;)
No, but I can solve the problem for you :)

1. If you don't have one, download a binary file hex editor such as HxD from HxD - Freeware Hex Editor and Disk Editor | mh-nexus

2. On 32-bit Windows: Using a hex editor, open the file tcluil.dll from the bin/win32 subdirectory of Niagara. Go to offset 0x5F224. You should see two bytes: 74 and 25. Replace the 74 with EB. Save the file.

3. On 64-bit Windows: Using a hex editor, open the file tcluil.dll from the bin/win64 subdirectory of Niagara. Go to offset 0x699C7 You should see two bytes: 74 and 16. Replace the 74 with EB. Save the file.

4. Copy the tcluil.dll file you just modified into the root Niagara folder. If asked to overwrite an existing file, say yes.

5. Expiration eliminated!

Namaste

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
For those who shy away from hex-editing DLLs... the simplest method to get past the date check is to roll back the system clock to 2017 or something first, then start up Niagara. Does the trick every time.

jtaj

Jul 13, 2021
For those who shy away from hex-editing DLLs... the simplest method to get past the date check is to roll back the system clock to 2017 or something first, then start up Niagara. Does the trick every time.
where can I download this niagara program? got a few 4kn hgst drive trying to go back to 512e