Changing fan speeds through IPMI does not work? Is it a fan issue?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
So I have about 12 drives in my SuperMicro SC846TQ 4U chassis. The drives get inexessively hot at 115 degrees.
I am able to connect to the IPMI through the web browser with the correct IP address, and each time I try to change the fan speed to higher lower or moderate it makes no affect on the fan speed.
The motherboard (SUPERMICRO MBD-X10DRI) is fairly new.. The fans look really old in it. Its of the older version, the one that did not have the sliders to push or pull the fan. I guess they have screws on them. Eitherway, do you guys think replacing the fans would help? I know its an ambiguous question, without full diagnosis and logs its hard to determine, but in general in situations like these, what has been observed by ya'all

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Do you know if the fan connected to the motherboard or to the backplane ?? If it connect to backplane then you cannot change the speed using IPMI.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
are they standard supermicro fans still? pics would be useful. Usually people want to quiet down super efficient fans designed for data centers, not speed up fans for more cooling! Also, what's your ambient? If your ambient is high then that might not be an unreasonable temp for 7200rpm drives.

herby

Aug 18, 2013
These are 4-wire fans right? That mobo can only adjust the speed if its a PWM fan. 4 wire fans are typically PWM, 3 wire just a tachometer so you can monitor speed, and 2 wire fans just spin with no control or feedback.

From the X10DRI manual page 49 (2-27):
Fan Headers
This motherboard has eight system/CPU
fan headers (Fan 1-Fan 6, Fan A, and Fan
B) on the motherboard. All these 4-pin
fans headers are backward compatible
with the traditional 3-pin fans. However,
fan speed control is available for 4-pin
fans only. The fan speeds are controlled
by Thermal Management via IPMI 2.0
interface. See the table on the right for
pin definitions.

Roelf Zomerman

Jan 10, 2019
blog.azureinfra.com
These are 4-wire fans right? That mobo can only adjust the speed if its a PWM fan. 4 wire fans are typically PWM, 3 wire just a tachometer so you can monitor speed, and 2 wire fans just spin with no control or feedback.

From the X10DRI manual page 49 (2-27):
It's actually the other way around.. a 4 pin = +12V, -, RPM, PWM... compared to a three (+,-,rpm) connector pin

where rpm is the rpm sensor..