Quietest Inexpensive QSFP+ (or units that allow DIY tasks to become quiet)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
I am a noob. I know... But wow. The Quanta SFP+ routers are kinda loud -- but the IBM QSFP+ just sounds mad. Is there any way to buy replacement fans to quiet these down? Are there quiet QSFP+ switches I'm fine with 4 - 6 QSFP+ ports and the remainder SFP+...

I feel like there's a chance that [that's] the VERY THING that makes them expensive. The dB are a product of heat, the heat is how efficient, and they probably get more efficient as they get newer, and newer are more expensive.

Anyway, any suggestions? Thanks!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The reverse kind of.
SFP+ is 1.5w per port or so and copper rj45 5-6w per port at 10g speeds.
So technically it’s easier to make a fanless SFP+ switch than 10g copper.
Of course most datacenter switches have a lot of cpu power for layer3 and other functions so fans...

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Don't forget the asics processing all the ethernetframes and ip packets :p

Reactions: Patrick

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
The reverse kind of.
Of course most datacenter switches have a lot of cpu power for layer3 and other functions so fans...

Well, for someone like me who's exclusive objective is sharing information locally, quickly - I could probably disable 90% of the features.

Most of all though, I'd just like to know if there're inexpensive generation equipment that has QSFP+ which would allow me to even CHANGE the fans in the way the LBM6 allows for Noctura ... which seems to make it very quiet.

Also - what is an "uplink" port?? Is this different than a "high speed port" in a switch that is majority lower speed ports? Can I not use those to connect to fast devices?

Thanks!

spali

Nov 4, 2018
Also - what is an "uplink" port?? Is this different than a "high speed port" in a switch that is majority lower speed ports? Can I not use those to connect to fast devices?
Not an network expert, but from my experience, in general yes. But some switches have special constraints on these, especially in the SMB world. I.e. the 1Gbit switches from Cisco SMB series has uplink ports which support 5Gbit, but only for stacking with a switch with the same serie, otherwise it's a 1Gbit SFP port. So in my experience just look twice the specs of the "uplink" ports :)