Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kyled

Jan 25, 2019
I have an ICX7250-24P and ran through the updates and I think something is wrong with PoE on it. whenever I try to install the PoE firmware I get this message:

Code:
PoE Info: FW Download on slot 1...programming firmware...completed.
PoE Info: FW Download on slot 1...upgrading firmware...completed. Module will be reset.
PoE Info: Resetting in slot 1....
PoE Info: Resetting module in slot 1....completed.
PoE Error: Failed Devices Bitmap on PoE module:4, numDev:3.
PoE Severe Error: Hardware Fault with ports 1/1/17 to 1/1/24. Remove PDs and then configure "no inline power" on these ports.
PoE Info: PoE module 1 of Unit 1 initialization is done.
and on reboot I get these messages:

Code:
PoE: Stack unit 1 PS 1, Internal Power supply  with 370000 mwatts capacity is up
PoE Info: Adding new 54V capacity of 370000 mW, total capacity is 370000, total free capacity is 370000
PoE Info: PoE module 1 of Unit 1 on ports 1/1/1 to 1/1/24 detected. Initializing....
2000 log entries of PoE Event Trace Log Buffer is allocated on unit 1 for unit 1
PoE Event Trace Logging enabled for unit 1
Resetting module in slot 1 again to recover from dev fault
PoE Info: Hard Resetting in slot 1....
sh: can't create /proc/iproc-i2c/iproc-i2c0/iproc-i2c-reset: nonexistent directory

pdsineReadResetResponse: Received an all-0 message
PoE Info: Expected post-reset system status response not received from the controller in slot 1...so reset of i2c will be initiated first to recover.
PoE Info: I2c Reset in slot 1....completed.

PoE Severe Error: Controller Reset failed on unit 1 in slot 1
has anyone seen this before or do I just have a bad switch? show inline power says "internal h/w fault" after installing the firmware, but that message goes away after a reboot. PoE still isn't working though on a factory reset default configuration

Just tried every port and PoE does work on 17-23 (but shows as "Non-PD") so I guess it's probably a bad switch

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I have an ICX7250-24P and ran through the updates and I think something is wrong with PoE on it. whenever I try to install the PoE firmware I get this message:

Code:
PoE Info: FW Download on slot 1...programming firmware...completed.
PoE Info: FW Download on slot 1...upgrading firmware...completed. Module will be reset.
PoE Info: Resetting in slot 1....
PoE Severe Error: Hardware Fault with ports 1/1/17 to 1/1/24. Remove PDs and then configure "no inline power" on these ports.
PoE Info: PoE module 1 of Unit 1 initialization is done.
and on reboot I get these messages:

Code:
PoE: Stack unit 1 PS 1, Internal Power supply  with 370000 mwatts capacity is up
PoE Info: Adding new 54V capacity of 370000 mW, total capacity is 370000, total free capacity is 370000
PoE Info: PoE module 1 of Unit 1 on ports 1/1/1 to 1/1/24 detected. Initializing....
2000 log entries of PoE Event Trace Log Buffer is allocated on unit 1 for unit 1
PoE Event Trace Logging enabled for unit 1
Resetting module in slot 1 again to recover from dev fault
sh: can't create /proc/iproc-i2c/iproc-i2c0/iproc-i2c-reset: nonexistent directory

PoE Info: Expected post-reset system status response not received from the controller in slot 1...so reset of i2c will be initiated first to recover.
PoE Info: I2c Reset in slot 1....completed.

PoE Severe Error: Controller Reset failed on unit 1 in slot 1
has anyone seen this before or do I just have a bad switch? show inline power says "internal h/w fault" after installing the firmware, but that message goes away after a reboot. PoE still isn't working though on a factory reset default configuration

Just tried every port and PoE does work on 17-23 (but shows as "Non-PD") so I guess it's probably a bad switch

the PoE board is damaged, seen this twice before. I ended up just removing the POE daughter board and using them as regular switches

kyled

Jan 25, 2019
the PoE board is damaged, seen this twice before. I ended up just removing the POE daughter board and using them as regular switches
Thanks for confirming, I guess I'll see if the seller can replace it

Edit: Opened it up and I think I found the problem...

Last edited:

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Whats the black goo? If that is the glue to hold the chip in position before being soldered down then that chip got cooked really bad. ESD from lightning strike I'd say.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
Thanks for confirming, I guess I'll see if the seller can replace it

Edit: Opened it up and I think I found the problem...
PoE chip and trace took a hit one way or another. id see if you can exchange it or if you can live without PoE get a discount for it.

Corey Clingo

May 13, 2016
Finally got my 6610 :)

(UPS had it sitting at a store, which I didn't know). I powered it up, and while it's probably too much noise to have sitting on my desk, it does spin down as noted in this thread and should be fine in a closet rack. (Compared to the Aruba S3500 I have, which doesn't ever spin down its PS fans, it's a ghost.)

I bought it without rack ears, thinking I would put it on a shelf, but it's too deep, so now I'm going to have to find or make some ears so I can put it in a rack. It draws around 115W with 2 power supplies and nothing plugged in, and that only drops about 10W when I unplug one supply (as expected).

I've hit fohdeesha up for the licenses, and hope to get some time to play with it soon.

I'd still like to get a 6450-24P (for its shallower depth), but those have gotten pricier on eBay as of late. Haven't seen one for less than $350 shipped, which is more than I paid for the 6610-48P.

C

Reactions: fohdeesha

Roelf Zomerman

Jan 10, 2019
blog.azureinfra.com
So.. I got my Sunon KDE1204PKv3 fans.. but upon connecting I noticed the different coloring (see picture).. do I need to re-adjust the wiring on these?
(Top is new, below is original)

<EDIT> Never mind.. found the answer on page 29.. switching yellow and black. </EDIT>

man this thing is silent now :)

Last edited:
Reactions: svtkobra7

fleeball

Dec 19, 2018
Thanks to this forum and fohdeesha, I have installed my converted 649281-B21(now a MCX354A-FCBT) Network card in my QNAP NAS and connected it at 40GbE via the Brocade ICX6610-48P. I am using the NetApp 112-00178 X6559-R6 External SAS Cable to connect the two devices.

upload_2019-1-29_16-23-33.png

upload_2019-1-29_16-24-17.png

Still running tests on performance, but so far everything is working perfectly. Contemplating enabling Jumbo frames, but reading some of the replies on this thread, not sure it is worth the hassle.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
yeah that's normal, the RPM reading of the aftermarket fans isn't in the "normal" range it's looking for so it indicates they've failed. Luckily on the 6450 you can just ignore it. On the 6610 (and others) it won't even allow you to boot it like this

You might still be able to view the raw RPM value of the aftermarket fans using a debug command, "dm fan-speed" at the enable level or higher. can't remember if it works on the 6450

Joao Paulo Mello

Jan 16, 2019
Last edited:

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Not a brocade user myself, but from discussions in this thread it seems others have also looked into it and it's not possible:
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/brocade-icx6450-icx6610-etc.21107/page-54

If it's clashing with your ssh configuration, and assuming standard openssh, your best bet is to make an individual KEX exception in your .ssh/config e.g.
Code:
Host myswitch.mydomain.lan
	KexAlgorithms +diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
If you're unsure of what KEX the systems support (or ciphers for that matter), trusty nmap to the rescue:
Code:
effrafax@wug:~$ nmap --script ssh2-enum-algos -sV -p 22 myswitch.mydomain.lan

Starting Nmap 7.40 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2019-01-31 15:51 GMT
Nmap scan report for 10.122.10.2
Host is up (0.0029s latency).
PORT   STATE SERVICE VERSION
22/tcp open  ssh     OpenSSH 4.3 (protocol 2.0)
| ssh2-enum-algos:
|   kex_algorithms: (3)
|       diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1
|       diffie-hellman-group14-sha1
|       diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
|   server_host_key_algorithms: (2)
|       ssh-rsa
|       ssh-dss
|   encryption_algorithms: (13)
|       aes128-cbc
|       3des-cbc
|       blowfish-cbc