Any thoughts on changing TIM on chipsets/SAS controllers?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
I am ordering a couple of SM X10 motherboards and was wondering what peoples thoughts were. The particular boards have onboard LSI 3008 controllers so I was thinking of "upgrading" the TIM on both the chipset and LSI chip.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
be careful, some of them use a thermal adhesive and if you try to pry the heatsink off you may damage the chip. if they have a thermal grease, you should be able to wiggle the heatsink without resistance; in which case you can replace the TIM. i don't often notice a difference in temperatures though....

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I think the consensus is that it’s not worth it they run just a hot even if you do it (and they do run hot !)

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
Thanks for the input, I think I'll just leave the stock thermal solution in place. I like the idea of a noctua, the whole system is already cooled by them so maybe I'll grab a 92mm and mount it over both the chipset and LSI controller, won't look hokey at all :). I pretty much try to find reasons to buy noctua fans these days, I think I have a problem.

ljwobker

Oct 12, 2017
What sorts of thermals are you seeing that you're concerned about? Virtually everything is built to tolerate much warmer ambient temps than people have in their homes, so in almost all cases there's no real benefit to improving the thermals on something like these. In some cases making the CPUs run cooler might have a marginal impact on very long term reliability, but even then the curve bends long after most of those chips are depreciated to nothingness. Unless you're in a room where the input air is in the high 30's (centigrade!) there's not much point.