U-NAS NSC-810A mATX Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jdd561

Apr 11, 2016
I think my extensions came from a local PC shop...Nothing special. Pretty sure my PSU is this one:
SeaSonic SS-350M1U

Oct 7, 2014
Thought I'd note for anyone contemplating a build with this.. that the scythe big shuriken rev 2b at 58mm is under the 61/62mm height restriction for this case. It's also the only cooler (That I've found so far) short of a noiser industrial server cooler that will fit LGA 2011-3. and work well with 95 - 120w TDP cpus. (square-ilm). as I'm planning on using a matx x99 board for mine. (x99 supports ECC UDIMM with xeons)

Chuu

Jan 6, 2018
I'm finalizing a NAS build and plan on using this case, and this thread has been invaluable.

At this point I'm fairly sure that the motherboard is going to be a Supermicro A2SDi-H-TF (Denverton C3758, 8 cores, 25W TDP) or the Supermicro A2SDi-H-TP4F (Denverton C3958, 16 cores, 31W). Both these boards come with a passive HSF.

From my research, I believe that even though these comes with a passive HSF they require active cooling and rely on the chassis to do so. Is this true? If so, will replacing the 60mm fan with a Noctua generate enough airflow to keep the CPU cool? If not what are my options?

Last edited:

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
From my research, I believe that even though these comes with a passive HSF they require active cooling and rely on the chassis to do so. Is this true? If so, will replacing the 60mm fan with a Nocturna generate enough airflow to keep the CPU cool? If not what are my options?
I would say yes. All passively cooled solutions rely on existing case ventilation. There're no ventilation in top-section of that case. Not sure if replacing 60mm fan will help though. You may want to attach some fan on top of that passive rad.

Chuu

Jan 6, 2018
I would say yes. All passively cooled solutions rely on existing case ventilation. There're no ventilation in top-section of that case. Not sure if replacing 60mm fan will help though. You may want to attach some fan on top of that passive rad.
ok, thanks for the response. Is there a suggested way to mount a fan to a heatsink in a secure way, or is there a heatsink that will work with FCBGA-1310 sockets? I did see the STH article about replacing the HS with an aftermarket HSF for the old Xeon-D boards with a 51mm HSF, however could not find any reference on Supermicro's site as to how they size their heatsinks so you know which size to buy.

Last edited:

jdd561

Apr 11, 2016
It is very tight in the MB section of that case. If you aren't using any add-in cards at all, maybe with some creative ducting you could get enough cooling in there with that fan. Otherwise, you may have to consider altering the top of the case to get enough clearance to mount a fan on top of that heatsink.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
It is very tight in the MB section of that case. If you aren't using any add-in cards at all, maybe with some creative ducting you could get enough cooling in there with that fan. Otherwise, you may have to consider altering the top of the case to get enough clearance to mount a fan on top of that heatsink.
I was thinking of some watercooling solution. That way all I need to do is bring radiator next to fans. You'll use some low-power CPU, so it will be easy task, even with limited airflow. On top of that, there're only a few coolers that will fit "narrow ILM" mount.

Kanid99

Jan 12, 2019
Im looking to build in this case, doing something maybe a little outside the norm - looking for thoughts?

Motherboard : Asrock Rack EPC612D4U-2T8R
CPU : E5-2680 v3
Cooler : (based on earlier suggestion) Scythe Big Shuriken 2 revB
Ram : 32GB DDR4 ECC
Power Supply : Im thinking I may need 400w with the E5, maybe more?
SAS HBA : LSI-9211-8i
Storage : 4-8TB SAS, 4-8TB SATA

I want to run this box with ProxMox so that I can use it as a combo virtualization box and ZFS NAS. The heat will obviously be an issue, so I was considering modifying the case to add additional airflow.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
The board seems to include onboard SAS3008 so you probably don't need that 9211-8i. RAM is kinda low for what you are planning to do IMO and I think you definitely need higher wattage PSU (350W min). You may also want to change out the include fan for something higher CFM.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I got exact same board and I'm really curious if you can make it work.
Keep in mind that board have Narrow ILM mount, and Schyte comes in Square ILM.

As previously said - you don't need 9200-8i, as board have intergrated SAS controller, which get's pretty hot btw.

Kanid99

Jan 12, 2019
The board seems to include onboard SAS3008 so you probably don't need that 9211-8i. RAM is kinda low for what you are planning to do IMO and I think you definitely need higher wattage PSU (350W min). You may also want to change out the include fan for something higher CFM.
My bad, I meant 4x32gb ddr4.

Good point about the sas (that's why I picked this board! What was I thinking when wiringw this) I just need the cable adapter from mini sas to sata.

Worst case scenario is it doesn't work and I stick one of my spare itx boards in there and use the gear in another build.

Kanid99

Jan 12, 2019
I got exact same board and I'm really curious if you can make it work.
Keep in mind that board have Narrow ILM mount, and Schyte comes in Square ILM.

As previously said - you don't need 9200-8i, as board have intergrated SAS controller, which get's pretty hot btw.
Thanks for the thoughts.. more to think about.

Kanid99

Jan 12, 2019
I could put a dynatron cooler on it but then I'd need to rig a fan to run over it and figure out more sir flow. As soon as the case is in stock again I'll order and when I have the parts I'll update.

The CPU and RAM I already have as well as the drives.

Kanid99

Jan 12, 2019
The cooling problem is a good one - At first I thought about running a liquid cooler radiator behind the two 120mm fans in the back but I think the tube run would be too long to go along the side by the power supply unless I made a custom solution.

The other thought is a Dynatron R31, remove the built in blower and put on a 120mm slim Noctua fan with an 120mm-80mm adapter .. but this leaves about 1/4 inch for air flow, so Id have to see about making a vent in the top the let in air.. which isnt a bad idea to begin with I suppose.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I was thinking of watercooling - slim 240 rad will be very elegant solution.
I got some asetek and retention ring - they have retention rings for narrow ilm for $8. It's CLC, but will probably be ok for my cpu (2818L v3). I don't have case though - still choosing

jingram

Oct 21, 2018
Thought I'd note for anyone contemplating a build with this.. that the scythe big shuriken rev 2b at 58mm is under the 61/62mm height restriction for this case. It's also the only cooler (That I've found so far) short of a noiser industrial server cooler that will fit LGA 2011-3. and work well with 95 - 120w TDP cpus. (square-ilm). as I'm planning on using a matx x99 board for mine. (x99 supports ECC UDIMM with xeons)
Have you actually tested this heatsink as working or is this all conjecture? When I reached out to u-nas they told me 52mm was the limit, but I haven’t measured. I was thinking I might be able to get away with an LP53, but this would be far better if it fits.

If you’ve done it, pics please!

Kanid99

Jan 12, 2019
Have you actually tested this heatsink as working or is this all conjecture? When I reached out to u-nas they told me 52mm was the limit, but I haven’t measured. I was thinking I might be able to get away with an LP53, but this would be far better if it fits.

If you’ve done it, pics please!
Conjecture for me. I've read some that say up to 60mm so (shrug)

Anyone able to measure who has one?

jingram

Oct 21, 2018
Conjecture for me. I've read some that say up to 60mm so (shrug)

Anyone able to measure who has one?
I have an NH-L9i in mine and from a glance, sure doesn't seem like there is that much additional space, but I am not in a place to tear it down and measure it at the moment.

That being said, you can see in the post about my build, how tight it appears to be. Maybe I am under estimating the amount of available space.

U-NAS 810a - Xeon e-2100 - Build Thread
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/u-nas-810a-build-xeon-e-pics.23187/