HPE MicroServer Gen10 X3421 8GB $316

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
@WANg that is a 2.5" chassis not 3.5" and the MSG10 has been under $400.

There's the other aspect of this being an already assembled and tested solution.

A bunch of parts for $540 are better than a $316 assembled system. If you include assembly and testing costs you are closer to two MSG10's.

Also, for a NAS, that X3421 is plenty and more CPU would go to waste. Sometimes you don't need/ want more or you're crossing into a different product segment right?
Okay, switch it to a Silverstone DS380B and that'll get you 3.5" bays, and'll you save an extra $20.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IAELTAI

Yes, the standard X3216 chassis MSG10 has been under $400 for a bit (that was the one offered at $179 for that Insight non-sale back a month ago), but the X3421 isn't usually - they tend to quote at ~$475 directly from HPe channel partners like PCM. Once again, it's the question of what exactly are you buying it for. If you want a quadbay, relatively static chassis from a well known vendor that you don't mind paying $ for (that HPe needs a support contract after the first year for something like BIOS updates), then it's not bad. But if you are one of those people who thinks your money can be better served with a socketed setup and more future proofing, you can probably do better by coupon clipping and elbow grease.

Oh, and I should mention that if you plan to order from PCM, they'll charge you an additional $62.50 "assembly fee". Yes, all for sliding out the motherboard/popping a RAM module in, or popping a drive into the caddy and sliding it in.

Last edited:

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
I'm still seeing it in stock at the $316 pricing. :confused: Are you seeing a different price?
Did you see the link I posted off HPe's own website? If I have to pay the original MSRP (749) for the X3421 BYOD chassis (the SKU only came with 1x8GB RAM module), that's a bit much (but not exactly out of line considering how much FreeNAS quotes for a Denverton chassis).
If I have to pay $479 for their quoted price, it'll give me reasonable pause. At $316, it's a steal, but considering how many people are trading up their 1st Gen Xeon-Ds (like the SuperMicro SuperServer 5028D-TN4T) and selling it here, it's a tough call.

Also, don't forget that HPe expects you to buy a support contract if you need something like BIOS upgrades after the 1 year warranty period runs out.

Last edited:

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the MSG10 support ECC? The 200ge doesn't, and AM4 supposedly needs a "Pro" SKU for ECC which is hard to find.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the MSG10 support ECC? The 200ge doesn't, and AM4 supposedly needs a "Pro" SKU for ECC which is hard to find.
The MSG10 supports Unbuffered ECC (UDIMMs), not buffered DIMMs.
Retail SKUs ship with normal, non-ECC RAM AFAIK. There's also the wisdom of buying non-buffered ECC DDR4 RAM which is expensive and suboptimal when you trade up to a newer machine, so my guess is that most techies will stick with cheaper, easier to source, bog-standard desktop DDR4 RAM to run their MSG10.

Paying ~190 for a pair of 16GB Corsair desktop RAM kinda makes sense. Spending 360 for the ECC UDIMMs...doesn't. Frankly, if your use case requires ECC you would probably go the whole hog and buy something that can handle FBDIMMs and some type of RAM mirroring anyways.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
$316 is decent price... tasty....if not....
I have n54l that not used anymore with broken vga port.. It was<$250 with 250gb hd and window home server ( still in the wrap ...). Bought from newegg ,

And still have ts440 lenovo with e3 .. could not resist at that time. It was $300 for ts440 from third party amazon. Again still in the box .

This is too late for me since i just finished repurpose lianli q25 with parts that i have it on hands ( tyan 5533 board, i3 haswell refresh, 2x4g ecc udimm). Well need to buy cpu cooler and 12vdc to atx. Total is 25 bucks.
The rest parts are made with my 3d printing.

Th mini server is next to my tv with home theather equipments.

If have time. I would post to diy sub section...

Marsh

May 12, 2013
12vdc to atx. Total is 25 buck
What is 12v to atx?
PICO PSU ? Could the PICO PSU support 6 HD?

I am doing the same right now.
Brought 2 x Q25A Nov 2014 back from Newegg when it was clearance sale.
Finally took it out of the box this month.
Match the chassis with Tyan S5533 boards like yours.
Testing out Openmediavault this minutes.

PS. I posted the Q25B clearance sale in Great deals section $35 AR .
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ian-li-pc-q25-itx-case-35-ar.4239/#post-35974

canta

Nov 26, 2014
What is 12v to atx?
PICO PSU ? Could the PICO PSU support 6 HD?

I am doing the same right now.
Brought 2 x Q25A Nov 2014 back from Newegg when it was clearance sale.
Finally took it out of the box this month.
Match the chassis with Tyan S5533 boards like yours.
Testing out Openmediavault this minutes.

PS. I posted the Q25B clearance sale in Great deals section $35 AR .
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ian-li-pc-q25-itx-case-35-ar.4239/#post-35974
Oops. You are correct. Pico atx clone. It say 300w, but i am 100% doubtly.. I use old power brick 12v 8A.
12v supply from powerbrick directly...

Update:
It looks ok with “not sure 300w” pico clone : i3 haswell and 5 hdd plus 1ssd. Of 2 y splitter from sata power to molex needed. The good thing is q25 has hotswap simple backplane that required 3 power connectors only.

I am a bit worry actually. I found a small 300w atx psu from my closet. I will replace with this psu.

Last edited:

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
The MSG10 supports Unbuffered ECC (UDIMMs), not buffered DIMMs.
Retail SKUs ship with normal, non-ECC RAM AFAIK. There's also the wisdom of buying non-buffered ECC DDR4 RAM which is expensive and suboptimal when you trade up to a newer machine, so my guess is that most techies will stick with cheaper, easier to source, bog-standard desktop DDR4 RAM to run their MSG10.

Paying ~190 for a pair of 16GB Corsair desktop RAM kinda makes sense. Spending 360 for the ECC UDIMMs...doesn't. Frankly, if your use case requires ECC you would probably go the whole hog and buy something that can handle FBDIMMs and some type of RAM mirroring anyways.
Like the MS Gen8, the MS Gen10 requires ECC UDIMM. It will not work with non-ECC memory or Registered RDIMM. The memory module that ships with the MS Gen10 is ECC UDIMM.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Like the MS Gen8, the MS Gen10 requires ECC UDIMM. It will not work with non-ECC memory or Registered RDIMM. The memory module that ships with the MS Gen10 is ECC UDIMM.
Are you sure that the MSG10 cannot work with non-ECC? The MSG7s were famous for supporting both ECC and non-ECC RAM on the same chassis.

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
Are you sure that the MSG10 cannot work with non-ECC? The MSG7s were famous for supporting both ECC and non-ECC RAM on the same chassis.
Yes, I have tested it, back when I was working on a MS Gen10 Beta test unit, with non-ECC memory it would not finish the boot cycle. Now that I have a production MS Gen10 x3421, I decided to test it again to confirm the results. I installed a single 4GB DDR4 2400 non-ECC UDIMM and it booted and Windows loaded without issue. I have not performed any in depth testing, but so far non-ECC UDIMM's appears to work. This is not a recommendation to use non-ECC memory, just sharing what I have found.

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
Reactions: Patrick

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Yes, I have tested it, back when I was working on a MS Gen10 Beta test unit, with non-ECC memory it would not finish the boot cycle. Now that I have a production MS Gen10 x3421, I decided to test it again to confirm the results. I installed a single 4GB DDR4 2400 non-ECC UDIMM and it booted and Windows loaded without issue. I have not performed any in depth testing, but so far non-ECC UDIMM's appears to work. This is not a recommendation to use non-ECC memory, just sharing what I have found.
Thanks - I have sneaking suspicions that the memory controllers on AMD APUs are a bit more forgiving on RAM type than its Intel equivalents - my past experience with the Athlon Neos, eKabinis and eKavaris certainly suggest so.

Honestly, unless you need to run something absolutely mission critical on the MSG10 (why) and/or someone else is picking up the tab, I would not buy ECC UDIMMs for it if I can get away with it - it's not all that cost effective.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
can anyone comment on if this 's marvel sata onboard will be an issue for esxi 6.5 / 6.5u2 (im glad someone mentioned that earlier in thread)? i currently looking for something exactly like this - as i need a dedicated, totally isolated esxi host (single host only no vCenter), but have read issues with marvel sata and esxi (but only read / slightly recall , never tested as i dont have any).

(im guessing i could always put some low end LSI raid/HBA in this and run its sff8087 up to this units 4x backplane - any issues yall see with that?) i wont need more than its 2x 1g eth ports

thanks

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
can anyone comment on if this 's marvel sata onboard will be an issue for esxi 6.5 / 6.5u2 (im glad someone mentioned that earlier in thread)? i currently looking for something exactly like this - as i need a dedicated, totally isolated esxi host (single host only no vCenter), but have read issues with marvel sata and esxi (but only read / slightly recall , never tested as i dont have any).

(im guessing i could always put some low end LSI raid/HBA in this and run its sff8087 up to this units 4x backplane - any issues yall see with that?) i wont need more than its 2x 1g eth ports

thanks
According to this site, the Marvell works out of the box with ESXi 6.5.

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017

thanks
I did have ESXi 6.5 running on a beta MS Gen10. The drives where available to ESXi. I tried to use passthrough to dedicate the Marvell controller to a VM. That did not work. I have not tested it on the latest production MS Gen10. For RAID cards, the UEFI BIOS seems a bit picky. I did get a SAS 9261-8i with latest firmware working in it. Most HBA seem to work fine.