EXPIRED 100 Gbps Ethernet switch - $1000 - new

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Those are officially classified new/company excess, typical whitebox switch.

They seem to come with OcNos but should be compatible with soNIC, NOS and likely Cumulus too (Tomahawk/Rangely based).

CELESTICA SEASTONE DX010 32X 100GB QSFP28 PORT TOR NETWORK SWITCH R0872-F0015-01 735899030165 | eBay

Best offer accepted during end-of-year sale is $1000 - atm 6 pieces left

They probably will be power hogs and not really silent, but bang for the buck should be great.

I contacted both Celestica (OEM) and IPInfusion (OcNos) to see whether they warrant any kind of support/warranty/documentation based on the physical HW alone, but o/c got no feedback yet.

Reactions: raileon

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
100GB? damn 1000$ is a steal for a ~terrabit switch... schweeet! /s (for some reason it really irks me when people confuse GB and Gb, and it's not just you it's the seller as well)

Real talk though: 800W PSU? good lord. how did we go from 60-100W for a switch to 800?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
100GB? damn 1000$ is a steal for a ~terrabit switch... schweeet! /s (for some reason it really irks me when people confuse GB and Gb, and it's not just you it's the seller as well)

Real talk though: 800W PSU? good lord. how did we go from 60-100W for a switch to 800?
Fixed;)

And I think its partially due to support for active fibre optics and then some of it for pushing the data after all... I'd assume basic consumption should be around 300W... I hope not or I might not want to keep 'em;)
Although, with the ability to run stuff in docker, who knows if I need an ESX box in the first place:D

Reactions: Kev

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Fixed;)

And I think its partially due to support for active fibre optics and then some of it for pushing the data after all... I'd assume basic consumption should be around 300W... I hope not or I might not want to keep 'em;)
Although, with the ability to run stuff in docker, who knows if I need an ESX box in the first place:D
I've got a 16 port 10Gb fiber switch, given only 1/4 the ports are populated at the moment but I don't pull more than ~30W at the wall. Going to have to see what the 40Gb switches in our lab pull from the meter.

Anyway, good price for a new switch, especially 100Gb...given that 40Gb switches were around 16k last i checked.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Those are officially classified new/company excess, typical whitebox switch.

They seem to come with OcNos but should be compatible with soNIC, NOS and likely Cumulus too (Tomahawk/Rangely based).

CELESTICA SEASTONE DX010 32X 100GB QSFP28 PORT TOR NETWORK SWITCH R0872-F0015-01 735899030165 | eBay

Best offer accepted during end-of-year sale is $1000 - atm 6 pieces left

They probably will be power hogs and not really silent, but bang for the buck should be great.

I contacted both Celestica (OEM) and IPInfusion (OcNos) to see whether they warrant any kind of support/warranty/documentation based on the physical HW alone, but o/c got no feedback yet.
I am a bit hesitant to purchase this switch without any sort of support/docs. I also tried to contact the seller but they weren't much help either. Do you know if these switches are functional out of the box or do you have to program them? If I was only looking for L2 functionality and the ability to use breakout cables, do you think this would work out of the box? It does look like a cheap entry point into 100G.
Thanks,
jp

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If they are in fact new and come with OcNos then they will have some measure of basic functionality, else I'll throw Sonic on them which should have documentation available.
I think that L2+Breakout will work fine with OcNos from what I have read so far.
I have no doc whatsoever either (yet), but it can't be so difficult, a sample video I saw indicated cisco like CLI...

But o/c its at your own risk., but at that price... been ogling 100G switches for a while, cheapest I have ever seen.

klammore

Jun 17, 2016
All sold out :( $1k was a smoking deal, wish I could have grabbed one.

But yeah it's a whitebox switch you can throw what ever NOS you want on it.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Been looking for a 100G switch for a while as well. Thanks for posting this!

Glad I bit yesterday...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So got feedback from IP infusion (OcNos) - they recommend to go for an eval request to get access to documentation and the latest firmware... whenever mine arrive I will do so. Did I mention that Ebay global shipping is ... not as fast as I would expect for the price... ?;)

Reactions: Patriot

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So the switches arrived, unfortunately the did *not* come with OcNos preinstalled :(
Could get an eval key o/c but that makes little sense since I am not able/willing to fork out mucho dinero for a NOS, so will look for an open source one...

Any recommendation?

Edit:
Will keep a list of compatible NOS' here for reference and update as I find them/presented
Open Network Linux
Azure/sonic-buildimage | its not on the SONiC HCL but there is an image directory

Edit2:
So both of these still seem to be under heavy development and not sure they are close to feature complete (rather not)... or stable ... or tested on this particular hw...

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You'll have to wait until i got it running = will keep it for sure before i crack it open, sorry.

power draw at ONIE is ~125W btw.

kroem

Aug 16, 2014

Well... that is 10x the BW...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Just for completeness sake - couldnt get ONL to run on those since I got an error after installation both with a custom build as well as the official one.
I have now deployed SONiC on one to play around and its looking good so far (albeit not tested much).
Power draw is around 150W idle which is a bit too much for my taste so not sure what I'll do with them yet.

Neither Cumulus nor IP infusion came back to me after a brief initial contact so cant comment on how these would run.