Samba File Server Help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Thomas H

Dec 2, 2017
Hi, I am getting lost in proxmox, linux, samba, etc. and need some help. I want to setup a file server on proxmox v5.3 for sharing with Windows clients. I am lost on setting it up to support Active Directory and NTFS groups and security permissions using SAMBA.

On a Windows environment, it is relatively easy as it is all SMB. Use Disk Management to initialize disk and format it. Create folders, create shares and set share permissions. Then use File Explorer to control security permissions. But with TurnKey File Server v15.0 on LXC, I have only gotten as far as guest access.

Do I skip TK file server and use a clean debian install with samba?
Use TK file server to join a domain/AD?
Use TK file server as an AD DC?
Something else (e.g., FreeNAS?)

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I don't know anything about what turnkey file server is (I'm guessing some sort of pre-configured LXC template?), does it not have documentation...?

Otherwise you're likely best off skipping that and spinning up two regular debian LXCs (one as a domain controller*, one as a file server) and following the usual howto's.

* I usually keep the DC separate as the identity mapping can be something of a PITA but if you're only planning on running a single DC there's no problem putting it all in the same container

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015