Cheap EE sample SSD 1.92TB $180 - 3.84TB $350

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com

captainjohn

Dec 6, 2017
Intel youngsville drives had huge firmware issues that didn't get mostly resolved until the end of q1 2018. I wouldn't use these for critical data, even raided against another youngsville drive.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Intel youngsville drives had huge firmware issues that didn't get mostly resolved until the end of q1 2018. I wouldn't use these for critical data, even raided against another youngsville drive.

Is that still true for the S4x10 variants?

Gremlin190

Dec 14, 2018
I bought one of the 1.92tb drives. It had 27 hours on it. Seems to be working fine. This is my 2nd ee Intel drive. My 30gb drive is still going strong for over 5 years.

schujj07

May 10, 2018
almost 7000 hrs, used lightly.... lol.... what the TBW for this?
In 1 year there are 8760 hours, that means that this has been turned on for less than 1 year. Since the full s4500 series comes with a 5 year warranty, I'd say this is lightly used. Also these drives are rated for 1.1DWPD over 5 years so I highly doubt they are anywhere near that.

katilinus

Oct 8, 2018
did any one else buy those drives? and if you have more info on the product - could you please share ? I am thinking to buy one (1.92TB) for my lab, and would really appreciate any other info posted

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I bought 4 of the s4510 3.84tb variants and they've been rock solid, we're running them in a raid 5 in a lenovo RD650 without any issue.

katilinus

Oct 8, 2018
For example I see that the buyer has 2 revisions of the SSD - in one of them only a few values (attributes) are being read by CristalDiskInfo, in the other model several are listed as Vendor Specific (but at least it sees more than 8-10 attributes).

Another difference I see it one some of the SSD's are listed as Engineering Samples, others SSD covers are blank - should this be a good / better quality control?

You might laugh, but paying 35$ for shipping and another 50$ in import charges rises the price (for me) with more than 50%, so I need to be sure I am not throwing the money away.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
I picked-up one of the 1.92TB units for a scratch volume and it seems to be working fine. Performance is as expected. A couple things to note:

1) A number of these have reallocated sectors. Not sure how this plays into them being SSDs and all, but it's an "indicator"...
2) These seem to be a mixture of Intel, Dell, and HP drives. The ones missing the SMART data have HP firmware and this is normal for HP drives. I have mostly HP servers, so that's the one I got. I use it in my non-HP workstation just fine.
3) The Youngsville drives had a rather serious issue where the drive will just suddenly "die" and not come back. It was fixed by firmware, but you'd have to make sure you can load firmware onto these. My drive came with HP03 firmware which addresses this issue (supposedly)..

See:
Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.
Intel S4500 and S4600 SSD drive goes permanently offline - Lenovo Converged Nutanix Appliance and Lenovo ThinkAgile Nutanix Appliance - US

So... Do your homework first to make sure you get a drive that won't suddenly die on you..

EDIT: More information by Googling for: intel s4600 disable logical state

Also, I bet the "for parts" S4500 and S4600 drives are all in this state. I haven't found a way to resolve this and everyone's official stance is the drive is unrecoverable and needs replacement.

Riley

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
I got one and it failed to SMART FAILURE and doesn't respond after about 2 weeks of usage :( s4610 3.84tb

Reactions: T_Minus

katilinus

Oct 8, 2018
really sorry to hear that. staying away from this deal as it might be too expensive in the end (for me)