AXXRMM4LITE2 backwards compatibility?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
Hello,

Since the AXXRMM4LITE module has been discontinued for some time, it becoming harder to source. My question is does anyone know if the new revision of this module, AXXRMM4LITE2, is backwards compatible with motherboards that support the AXXRMM4LITE? I have a feeling this activation module might work with older boards (I have a S2600CP2) that intel doesn't explicitly list in the compatibility matrix. Was just curious is anyone has attempted using this newer module in an older board.

Edit: evidence for this hunch is from the product spec on this newer board https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...ver-boards/Intel_Server_Board_S2600WT_TPS.pdf

It states the board accepts either the AXXRMMLITE or AXXRMMLITE2 module. Either dual support in built in to this server board, OR the modules are essentially the same.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If I were you, I'd take a chance on AXXRMM4LITE2 and if it's not compatible, resell it. I know latter can a be hassle.

Now, I understand why my sold that quick on ebay few weeks ago. It was gone in a couple of days. Yikes! for the price the sole listing on ebay now for the AXXRMM4LITE module, you can almost get a SM single socket R motherboard!

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
If I were you, I'd take a chance on AXXRMM4LITE2 and if it's not compatible, resell it. I know latter can a be hassle.

Now, I understand why my sold that quick on ebay few weeks ago. It was gone in a couple of days. Yikes! for the price the sole listing on ebay now for the AXXRMM4LITE module, you can almost get a SM single socket R motherboard!
I know, $100+ for unlocking kvm support that is already on the motherboard is ridiculous. I see a buy it now on a AXXRMM4LITE2 for $30 I might just take a chance on, unless anyone comes back here saying definitively it wont work.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
I'm happy to report the AXXRMM4LITE2 worked on my S2600CP2 :) Looks like its the exact same part as the AXRMM4LITE. Hopefully this helps someone in the future!

Reactions: marcoi

gardar

Nov 15, 2012
I know this is an old thread, but in case someone comes across it via google (as I did) then here's the exact quote from Intel confirming that the RMM4LITE and RMM4LITE2 are compatible.

NOTE: In 2016, Intel released the AXXRMM4LITE2 accessory kit. This kit implemented a component change to conform to RoHS compliance requirements. Functionally, Intel® Accessory Kits AXXRMM4LITE and AXXRMM4LITE2 are the same.

1610970497646.png
Taken from: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/rmm4-tps.pdf

Reactions: pforce