Dell C6100 random power off - Help please

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sdemx

Jan 7, 2019
I have a Dell C6100 with the 24 bays and 4 nodes. It doesn’t matter how many nodes I power up it can be just one and randomly it will turn off. Both power supplies are lit green. Sometimes it will stay on for a day or 2 but when you power it back on it runs for about30-60 seconds and shuts off during boot. Once it does a random power off you can’t get it to stay back on unless you wait about 5 hours or so. Could really use some help troubleshooting. Went threw and cleaned everything out reseated the ram and processors and still nothing.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
are both power supplies plugged in? sounds like a bad psu, but I would think both developing this failure mode at the same time is slim to none chance

sdemx

Jan 7, 2019
are both power supplies plugged in? sounds like a bad psu, but I would think both developing this failure mode at the same time is slim to none chance
Yes the power supplies are all good, I believe it’s the fan control board which controls the power distribution but I can’t find any firmware anywhere for it. The firmware on Dells website doesn’t work

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I posted a link to Dell Poweredge Cxxxx BIOS / FW under guides section couple of years ago. However, If you have an older rev of FCB, the FW is not updatable.

Reactions: sdemx

sdemx

Jan 7, 2019
Check the SEL? It should report a reason for powering off.
I get a error for ambient Temperature above threshold in the BMC log, but when I can get it running the sensor says that the temp is 0 degrees C. It’s in a temperature controlled room at 63 degrees and all the fans are running at 1425 RPM so I know it’s not overheating