Suggestions for reviews with Ryzen 2700 / 3700 (future) AM4 + ECC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FredeBR

Dec 4, 2018
Dear author, I have come to suggest reviews with the Ryzen 2700, 2700x, 3700 (in the future) and ECC memories. If the ECC is really active and working. Both on windows and on Linux. Which motherboards are ECC compliant. The purpose is to guide the acquisition of AM4 platforms with ECC for use as an HPC workstation for simulations and mathematical analyzes that require precision.
(Translated by Google Translate)

Reactions: Joel and snakyjake

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
HPC workstation should be based on threadripper which supports ECC by default.

I would be happy to see more workstation oriented boards for ryzen pro/threadripper.

FredeBR

Dec 4, 2018
HPC workstation should be based on threadripper which supports ECC by default.

I would be happy to see more workstation oriented boards for ryzen pro/threadripper.
I think that ryzen 2700 / (3700 - future processor) would be a more affordable HPC workstation alternative to the threadripper that has a higher cost and a TDP greater than ryzen. The Ryzen 2700/3700 + ECC memory suite would serve most of the HPC niche woskstations and home servers. As for Ryzen PRO to date the consumer does not have access to it, only AMD oem partners, and officially (as ryzen) also does not support ECC. (Translated by Google Translate)

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I think that ryzen 2700 / (3700 - future processor) would be a more affordable HPC workstation alternative to the threadripper that has a higher cost and a TDP greater than ryzen. The Ryzen 2700/3700 + ECC memory suite would serve most of the HPC niche woskstations and home servers. As for Ryzen PRO to date the consumer does not have access to it, only AMD oem partners, and officially (as ryzen) also does not support ECC. (Translated by Google Translate)
Unless there are magically more pcie lanes in ryzen 3000... HPC is not a realm in which ryzen currently fits...at all.
It simply does not meet base I/O requirements to have internal accelerators and external interconnects for scalability, now workstations don't necessarily need as much external bandwidth, but they still need more than 24 pcie lanes for a hyperconverged scenario.

FredeBR

Dec 4, 2018
I'm still flummoxed over AMD not making an 8C 16T Epyc.
I see that the niche that would serve the entry HPC workstation and small home servers would be the Epyc 3000. The Epyc 3000 would fit into the niche of the Xeon E and Xeon W input, and to advantage. I do not understand why AMD does not see this. I think AMD could have made a better strategy by making the Epyc 3000 socket available instead of BGA

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
@FredeBR It seems you're from Brazil if I'm not mistaken. Last time I visited there, hardware prices seemed very high and a lot of Brazilian enthusiasts are quite innovative in their hardware choices given the pricing constraints. They also tend to trend towards AMD.

Basically all the ASRock AM4 motherboards support ECC (even in their spec sheet). After that ASUS has the second best support, however their top motherboards (Crosshair Hero) doesn't support it for some reason.

Having recently switched to Ryzen for my main computers, I do feel some frustration with the limited PCIe lanes, especially PCIe 3.0. Tbf Intel consumer platforms are also realistically limited since in terms of bandwith the DMI 3.0 link is roughly equivalent to the PCIe 3.0 x4 link AM4 uses for the 3x0/4x0 chipset (3.93 GBps vs 3.94 GBps respectively). That means that although e.g. the Intel Z390 chipset exposes 24x PCIe 3.0 lanes via the chipset, the combined bandwidth is bottle-necked at the DMI 3.0 link which only can pass through the rough equivalent to a x4 link. I suppose that might be a better implementation anyway because of the flexibility compared to the AMD chipsets where you must choose whether you'll place a card in the CPU PCIe 3.0 or chipset PCIe 2.0 slot. It's unlikely a regular user would consistently max out the DMI 3.0 link unless they are doing let's say an extended sequential transfer across multiple NVME drives.

Here's a quick comparison of "real PCIe 3.0 lanes":
  • Ryzen - 24x PCIe 3.0 (x16 or x8/x8 GPU + x4 NVME + x4 chipset)
  • Threadripper - 64x PCIe 3.0 (x16 GPU + x16 GPU + x4 NVME + x4 chipset + x24 general purpose)
  • Coffee Lake - 16x + 4x PCIe 3.0 (x16 or x8/x8 GPU + x4 chipset)
  • Skylake-X - 44x + 4x PCIe 3.0 (x16 GPU + x16 GPU + x4 chipset + x16 general purpose)

S-F

Feb 9, 2011

Ah, yes. Well. I was of course talking about a workstation part. The frequency on those parts is pretty low comparatively and I imagine workstation motherboard support is nonexistent. I have read you say that you've talked to folks at AMD about this gaping hole in their product line. Has anything come of such dialogue?

FredeBR

Dec 4, 2018
@FredeBR It seems you're from Brazil if I'm not mistaken. Last time I visited there, hardware prices seemed very high and a lot of Brazilian enthusiasts are quite innovative in their hardware choices given the pricing constraints. They also tend to trend towards AMD.
Yes, you're right. The problem of high hardware prices in Brazil is the high taxes and currency exchange rate difference.

@FredeBR Basically all the ASRock AM4 motherboards support ECC (even in their spec sheet). After that ASUS has the second best support, however their top motherboards (Crosshair Hero) doesn't support it for some reason.
Having recently switched to Ryzen for my main computers ...
I do not need many lanes. A configuration that meets the requirements of mathematical simulations that I need, would be a processor with 8 to 12 cores, with a minimum frequency of 3.5GHz, memory 32GB ECC, SSD M.2 500GB. An AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100 video card from the beginning is enough.
I think that if AMD were to launch a Ryzen 2700X giving official ECC support (if it had RAS it would be very good) it would serve this entry server niche (competing with Xeon E). Another suggestion for AMD is to launch an Epyc 8 or 12 cores with a base frequency of 3.5GHz (would compete with input Xeon W).

I suggest to @Patrick ask why AMD has not released any PRO ryzen with official support for ECC to meet the ECC workstation niche for the masses or Epyc suggestion given above. Is it because the Threadripper market would be cannibalized?