Do Iron Wolfs Have a Bad Rep?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
Looking at Iron Wolfs on Newegg and a lot of the reviews basically say they suck. So are bad drives? Or... I only use HGSTs but it's hard finding HGST 12TBs on Ebay for a good price.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Looking at Iron Wolfs on Newegg and a lot of the reviews basically say they suck. So are bad drives? Or... I only use HGSTs but it's hard finding HGST 12TBs on Ebay for a good price.
The only thing I've heard over and over about them is that they are very loud.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Think That is for a specific firmware version e.g for those 8TB models.
iirc,many reported lower noise with updated f/w.
I own 6 of the IronWolf 8TB, been running in a DC for over 2 years now. So noise isn't a issue for me, but the drives Been wonderful.
Being written to and read from 24/7.

The only thing I've heard over and over about them is that they are very loud.

fmatthew5876

Mar 20, 2017
I've been using 8 10TB Iron Wolf's in a ZFS raidz2 for over 2 years now with no issue. I wouldn't call them loud either. My whole rack sits in my living room and I never heard the drives make a sound.

I think seagate in general gets a bad rap. I've always used them at home and never had problems, but maybe I am lucky.

Also choosing a used HGST from ebay over a new Seagate from a reputable vendor? That seems sketchy to me..