$380 Micron 3.2TB S630DC SAS SSD & other capacities available

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
If you are concerned about performance (and have free slots) go for the 8x 800 :D
Imho, a lot of people really overbuild storage, including myself ... have you had a look with something like iotop on your current storage when the VM's are doing normal work ?
I'm just going to point out that e-bay is full of netapp ds2246 units at under $100, shipped, ready to receive 24 of your choice of 2.5" drive...

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I'm just going to point out that e-bay is full of netapp ds2246 units at under $100, shipped, ready to receive 24 of your choice of 2.5" drive...
Not familiar with netapp shelf at all, do these works just like a jbod ?? I mean can you just hook it up to HBA with external port ? Any special software needed ?
Does it require the use of interposer card at all ??

Last edited:

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Not familiar with netapp shelf at all, do these works just like a jbod ?? I mean can you just hook it up to HBA with external port ? Any special software needed ?
Does it require the use of interposer card at all ??
The 2246 w IOM6 module I have works just like a JBOD. Netapp does not use a normal SFF-8088 connector, but you can get the appopriate adapter cable off the shelf. The trays I have are SAS-SAS, and if a sata drive is used it will only show up connected to one of the IOM6 units. I do not know if there is a sas/sata interposer that is low enough profile to work with the netapp tray, it would need to have essentially zero thickness as the tray only has one set of holes. Not an issue with these drives in the thread, of course...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@gregsachs Maybe you are the best person to make. I think enclosures is the way to go. I am interested to read about these as well.

Reactions: Monoman

wardtj

Jan 23, 2015
The 2246 w IOM6 module I have works just like a JBOD. Netapp does not use a normal SFF-8088 connector, but you can get the appopriate adapter cable off the shelf. The trays I have are SAS-SAS, and if a sata drive is used it will only show up connected to one of the IOM6 units. I do not know if there is a sas/sata interposer that is low enough profile to work with the netapp tray, it would need to have essentially zero thickness as the tray only has one set of holes. Not an issue with these drives in the thread, of course...
That shelf looks pretty interesting for the price, and there's also a 12gb SAS3 version too.

Cables look to be SFF-8436 (QSFP/QSFP+) from the manuals, so, easy enough to find a SFF-8088 to 8436 version.

Thanks for sharing!

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Of course they are EOL. They're 2015 drives. Even Intel S3510 a 2015 drive is discontinued Intel® SSD DC S3510 Series (240GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 16nm, MLC) Product Specifications

A new Enterprise drive for $0.11-0.12/ GB is crazy good.

I'm assuming these are OEM. With a 2.5M hr mtbf and Enterprise SSDs having sub 0.4% afr I'll take my chances and buy a replacement if I ever need it. I bought spares from this deal because it was too good to pass up.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Amazing fast delivery, received my parcel today, it's just the drives themselves in anti-static bags.
Unfortunately, won't be able to check/benchmark for some days - quite good conditions in the alps nearby and guess i just *have to* go to the slopes as long as this lasts :D

Reactions: nev_neo

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@_alex I know the feeling. I was in Park City for the last week. Just got back and drives arrive today.

Reactions: _alex

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Nice, i was at Winter Park years ago, but had no luck with conditions. Just came back from a small evening-walk to a hut, 600m up with skins - not so bad, but the real loads are more east from our place :(
So, we have to visit friends near Innsbruck over the weekend and head from there east towards Kitzühel or some smaller (means: less crowded) mountains around, hopefully get some fresh in the trees and lower meadows from the ongoing dump :D

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Not that it matters, but I think this may be why they were cheap. Looks like the entire line is EOL.

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/PCNs/Micron/PCN_32494.pdf
From the PDF:
Last Shipment Date: 2018-02-28

Warranty:

ANY CLAIM AGAINST MICRON MUST BE MADE WITHIN FIVE (5) YEARS FROM THE DATE OF SHIPMENT BY MICRON OR PRIOR TO THE OCCURRENCE OF THE ENTERPRISE SSD EXCEEDING ITS USEFUL LIFE AS SPECIFIED IN MICRON’S SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE ENTERPRISE SSD, WHICHEVER OCCURS EARLIER

So best case - a good 4 years, worst case 3 or less - still plenty for the price:)