C612 single socket board recommendations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Huy Le

Dec 1, 2015
Currently running a X99 board with a E5-2698v3 and 64GB ECC non-reg RAM. My problem is i don't have enough slots to run dual NVME drives with the graphics card, RAID controller and nic card.

Cards running:
- GPU 16x 3.0
- RAID controller 8x 3.0
- NIC 8x 3.0
- NVME 4x 3.0

I have found 2 C612 boards that would support my configuration, any thoughts on the following?
- Asrock EPC612D8
- Supermicro X10SRA-F

The Supermicro supports bifurication of the 16x slots which would be helpful in slapping in 4 NVME drives into one slot. However the X10SRA-F doesn't have great reviews and i can't even tell what they've done to their BIOS revisions.

Any other recommendations? As long as it's EATX or ATX, supports NVME boot, and can be dual socket as well if need be.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If you are going to insist on those Udimms then I think the SRA is you best choice. I have a bunch and they are ok with the later bios versions.
(i got the non ipmi version, so added a cheap x1 graphics card)

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
I think the epc only supports reg ECC.
But since i have one, i can test that.
And I want to sell it by the way ; )

I have no experience with that sm x10, but I once had the x99-oce non ipmi equivalent and that board was a mixed bag.

The board itself was OK, the uefi on the other hand changed drastically over revisions and just got worse.
They even removed ES support.

I can't tell if your udimms will work on it, on the green "server boards" it will not, or most likely not.
If I remember correctly, sm sometimes states that udimms will only work with Intel core CPUs.

Edit Some other things:

Supermicro sells Intel ssds and only provides drivers for those in the bios of their green x10 boards. Booting of any other brand nvme ssds is therefore not possible unless you patch the bios.

Though, that x10 could be a rare exception to both, the nvme and udimm topic.

Other board options out there are for example the Asus x99e WS, with plx chips and more slots and lanes then you'd probably ever need.

Or the Asus x99 e WS ipmi, in case you need ipmi. Less slots though and I have no clue about bifurcation.

Last edited:

Huy Le

Dec 1, 2015
Thanks for pointing out the UDIMM issue as i didn't even think of that. The RAM i bought for a Xeon E3v5 not too long ago. Unfortunately, selling it to buy LRDIMM or RDIMM would set me back a decent amount though i guess i am considering doing it.

The Asus X99 WS is too costly in my opinion, at 400ish i would considering selling the system and moving to a Threadripper setup.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Used, that ews should be below 250€ at the moment. If used is an option.
The only C612 board i know and have that in my knowledge takes udimms is the fujitsu d3348.

Though, Rand__ seems to have kind of "green lit" the SM X10SRA-F
The official page states " non-ECC UDIMM (available with Core i7 only)" but i can't think of any good technical reason why that board shouldn't support udimms with xeons, except some software bullshit limit.

@Rand__ Any experience with that board? Can you maybe find out if udimms will work?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
What’s udimm you have ddr4 , speed and brand ?
I could be interested to do a deal of swapping on rdimm

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I have two SRA's (non ipmi version) that I think I have run with UDimms/Xeon already but probably could have another test if needed. Would offer it too (got 1-2 spares) but I assume shipping costs will be prohibitive making it a good deal.

Huy Le

Dec 1, 2015
@RageBone The Fujitsu board is interesting, didn't know they made boards anymore. Found a used X99-WS on Ebay for a good price as well, i'm thinking about it.

@Evan I have 6 Kingston KVR24E17D8/16 UDIMM sticks though i only use 4 for now. If you're interested, let me know please!

@Rand__ if you want to PM me a price on one i may be interested. I bought one X10SRA (non-ipmi) off Ebay 4 months ago and just this weekend had time to set it up. Unfortunately when i inspected it it had bent pins and it's outside the Ebay return window. My fault for not checking it immediately and i wasn't going to risk putting in the Xeon with the UDIMMs.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@Huy Le depending on how many pins and how they are bent, it can be a rather easy operation to bend them back.
I'd say that as long as the pins in question aren't bend back into the oposit side of where thei would normally be, it's not really a problem to bend them back.

If you are in the EU, shipping to me and back isn't a killer ; )

Another option is to send it in, Asus does replace sockets, I think supermicro does that too.
Though I'd expect it to cost around 50$ at least, very likely more.
And I can only advise against those cheap eBay socket replacement services. Replacing a socket is to said it bluntly: not that simple !

Another interesting note on X99 is that nearly all boards support reg ecc.
The EWSs are one of the few to officially state support, but I don't know any that actually don't work with reg ecc.

Huy Le

Dec 1, 2015
The pins are oddly bent, looking like a they got tied together. I've tried bending pins back before for a 1150 socket and it was a nightmare to attempt to fix (didn't work either way).

Read up on the an experience taking 2 months for Supermicro to fix the bent pins. Wanted to get this done in a week or so lol because I'm trying to clear up all projects from last year.

Figured you were in the EU since you listed a prior price lol. In the US so shipping would kill unfortunately.

Yeah i'm currently using a Asrock X99 Extreme 4 with the ECC Ram, it's solid and has no issues but i need one more slot for another NVME ssd

Huy Le

Dec 1, 2015
I had no clue Ebay Protection is 180 days, thought it was 90. I'll have to look into this, thanks!

In the meantime, if i can swap out the UDIMM for RDIMM, i may switch platforms to the newer Skylake or Epyc system instead. Motherboard cost for all 3 sockets aren't even that much different from what i've seen.