$380 Micron 3.2TB S630DC SAS SSD & other capacities available

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Good is relative - compared to what ? And what are you doing with the vms?

If all you do is run them with no heavy usage then it will not make much of a difference since Optane will cope with sync writes most of the time.

If you do a lot of reads then maybe, if you now have a few spinners or only a few ssds.
If you got 8 800GB SSDs in a mirror pool though (switching 4x2 with 1x2) then probably not
The VMs are for home "production" use. (The dev VMs live on different storage.)
Usage is on the light side for now.
Currently I have a few consumer SSD of various sizes (250/500/960GB) with 1-2 vms on each. The larger vms live on 1TB SSD.
By moving to FreeNas, I can leverage the vmotion option a little faster since the storage would be shared vs local and vmotion wouldnt need to copy data between local storage.

Eventually I like to have more services such as website hosting for self and possibly a few more game client specific deployments accessible from Internet.

I though of the 8x800 vs 2x3.2 drives. But the power increase is double and it fills all my slots (8 empty bays).

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Those drives are not the fastest out there ( at least random 4k write is quite slow), but for vm with slog if all you need is consolidated storage they should be fine.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Those drives are not the fastest out there ( at least random 4k write is quite slow), but for vm with slog if all you need is consolidated storage they should be fine.
thanks - went back and read the reviews and such. I agree probably not the best storage for a VM pool. so even though they are priced great, i am going to pass till i find something better for my use case.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well since slog turns random write in streamed writes I'd think you should be ok unless your are using them heavily, but I can't be sure o/c.
Finding something better in price/perf might take a while though

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Did anyone get tracking info for these? Perhaps those that ordered yesterday?
I did an order for 10 of the 3.2TB's on Saturday around midnight and got my tracking info in the last few minutes, using the default free shipping should be here Thursday via FedEx Home.

Reactions: Patrick

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
What are some good use cases for these drives or what are some of you planning to use them for? Curious.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
What are some good use cases for these drives or what are some of you planning to use them for? Curious.
To replace some of the 2TB spinners in my workstation for bulk/capacity.

Regardless of the "low" performance it's light-years faster and more reliable than any spinning disk.

Riley

Reactions: scobar and Patrick

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I would not run VMs without redundancy. Maybe in a 100% testing scenario.
Its for home "production" usage, plus i back up the VMs nightly so it wouldnt be much down time.

Now im talking myself back into buying something lol. Dont know if i want 2x3.2 drives or 8x800 drives.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
If you are concerned about performance (and have free slots) go for the 8x 800 :D
Imho, a lot of people really overbuild storage, including myself ... have you had a look with something like iotop on your current storage when the VM's are doing normal work ?

azev

Jan 18, 2013
i was doing so well avoiding Great buy section haha oh well.
Initially I thought I was done shopping for the year, until I saw this deal ofc, now my CC is bloated with "holiday" spending ;)

RobSam

May 2, 2018
My three orders placed on Saturday with USPS shipped today, as well as a Sunday order with 2nd day UPS.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
I was tempted to go for another set, but it looks like they are down to just the 400G/800G + SED 400G's now.

Gadgetguru

Dec 17, 2018
Oh boy. I'm late to the party but just bought two 800GB since the 1.6's were sold out. Not Nvme fast but for the price I decided to go for it. I'm not an IT pro, just a computer geek building my first "real" server and don't have a lot of money to put in it. Probably going to get 2 of the 10TB Easystore's as well and call it good. Thanks for the info!