$380 Micron 3.2TB S630DC SAS SSD & other capacities available

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
Another 2tb micron just for $38.88. Model 1100 2tb 2.5" SATA.

Micron 1100 2TB 3D NAND SSD SATA 2.5" Solid State MTFDDAK2T0TBN-1AR1ZABYY - OEM | eBay

Last rating as a seller was in 2015. May be hacked account, but may be he sells to get positive ratings as a seller to start business on ebay. Another strange thing is that delivery to my country is free, but I suppose it must me at least $20.

Too risky for me, as I'm not in USA and don't want to start money back process (Two reasons that help me not to check this :) )

Will not create separate thread, as I think this can't be true for such cheap price, but someone may want to check this for $38.88 at his own risk.

What do you think?
definitely hack account when you check the seller history.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
uggh didnt see this until this morning and the 1.6Tb are all gone. Decided to pickup a pair of the 3.2Tb instead.

Reactions: BigDaddy

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
What are you guys using for cables for these? I’m going to put a 1.6TB in my workstation. I have a SFF-8643 (Mini SAS HD) HBA and I need a breakout to 4 x SFF-8482 to connect direct to the drives.

I’ve found a bunch but there appear to be problems with them running at 12Gbps. Seems the cables are only rated for 6G.

Riley

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Did anyone get tracking info for these? Perhaps those that ordered yesterday?

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
What are you guys using for cables for these? I’m going to put a 1.6TB in my workstation. I have a SFF-8643 (Mini SAS HD) HBA and I need a breakout to 4 x SFF-8482 to connect direct to the drives.

I’ve found a bunch but there appear to be problems with them running at 12Gbps. Seems the cables are only rated for 6G.

Riley
Do we need to break out to 8482 or 8680 for 12G? if it is just 8482, amazon has them pretty cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Internal-SFF-8643-SFF-8482-connectors/dp/B01F378UF6

if they need 8680 then it looks like it is much more expensive. I have a supermicro AOC-S3008L-L8i HBA that I will use in a generic case that doesn't have the backplane for the normal connection for that HBA. I am trying to use that card and find a breakout cable (or even just a single cable) that can connect the SSD directly. ex. SFF-8643 to SFF-8680 (or ideally SFF-8482.) What are the IDE Molex connectors used for on the breakout cable listed above?
Thanks for any help,
jp

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
Do we need to break out to 8482 or 8680 for 12G? if it is just 8482, amazon has them pretty cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Internal-SFF-8643-SFF-8482-connectors/dp/B01F378UF6

if they need 8680 then it looks like it is much more expensive. I have a supermicro AOC-S3008L-L8i HBA that I will use in a generic case that doesn't have the backplane for the normal connection for that HBA. I am trying to use that card and find a breakout cable (or even just a single cable) that can connect the SSD directly. ex. SFF-8643 to SFF-8680 (or ideally SFF-8482.) What are the IDE Molex connectors used for on the breakout cable listed above?
Thanks for any help,
jp
So it does appear that 8482 is SAS2/6G and 8680 is the updated connector for SAS3/12G.

Additionally, these drives may require dual port connections to realize their full potential. According to the data sheet below they will push 1600MB/s read and 850MB/s write. They also seem to support dual port for aggregation.

https://www.micron.com/-/media/clie.../data-sheet/ssd/s600dc_series_2_5_sas_ssd.pdf

So, I think it’s possible to aggregate the two ports together with these cables?

12G Internal HD Mini-SAS SFF-8643 → (2) SFF-8680 Target-based dual port 29-pin drive receptacle - CS Electronics

Can anyone confirm?

Riley

Last edited:

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I can confirm the dual port cable can work on any sas drive with dual port capability. I have to remind you of one problem with this, you will need an OS that is capable of SAS MPIO and if you are using these on windows 10 box it does not work. Windows 10 will see the same drive twice and there's nothing you can really do about it. If you are using windows servers then it can work just fine. Honestly though, I dont see any performance improvement whatsoever with dual port setup, especially with 12Gb sas, the port bandwidth is much more than what any 12gb sas drive can utilize.

BobbyB

Dec 26, 2016
Did anyone get tracking info for these? Perhaps those that ordered yesterday?
I chose UPS 2nd day and the shop shipped on Saturday evening, UPS shows parcel already in Oregon with expected delivery today on the 31st. Sending to shipito for later US visit pickup so can't verify drives/details myself.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well, in for a handful. I actually prefer SATA drives since you can use them without SAS controllers, but 3.2TB is a good capacity.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
would two of the 3.2 drives setup in R0 in FreeNas be good storage pool for all my VMs? I have optane aic for log. Also I have sas3 backplane and card passed though to FreeNas VM. Storage is connected by 10GB to switch/servers

Some of the VMs are:
WS2012R2E
2 x WS2012R2S
Sophos
various linux images
Win7
minecraft
webserver
Win10

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Good is relative - compared to what ? And what are you doing with the vms?

If all you do is run them with no heavy usage then it will not make much of a difference since Optane will cope with sync writes most of the time.

If you do a lot of reads then maybe, if you now have a few spinners or only a few ssds.
If you got 8 800GB SSDs in a mirror pool though (switching 4x2 with 1x2) then probably not

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
I can confirm the dual port cable can work on any sas drive with dual port capability. I have to remind you of one problem with this, you will need an OS that is capable of SAS MPIO and if you are using these on windows 10 box it does not work. Windows 10 will see the same drive twice and there's nothing you can really do about it. If you are using windows servers then it can work just fine. Honestly though, I dont see any performance improvement whatsoever with dual port setup, especially with 12Gb sas, the port bandwidth is much more than what any 12gb sas drive can utilize.
Looks like MPIO is broken in Windows 10 - perhaps intentionally. From what I gather it used to work, then after some Windows updates were released it worked until reboot, and now after more updates it doesn't work at all. I know when I configure MPIO in Windows Server the feature needs to be added. It looks to be missing on Windows 10.

12Gb SAS gives 12Gb/s or roughly 1500MB/s per port. I can't seem to figure out if the 8b/10b coding is included or not. If not, then we'd need to take off an additional 20%. With a drive that is capable of pushing more than that the single port the single SAS3 link would be a bottleneck - not a very large one, though - only 100MB.

So, it looks like the single-port version of the cable will work with a slight performance penalty though I can't seem to figure out exactly what is different between the SAS2 (SFF-8482) and SAS3 (SFF-8680) ones? For the ~$40/cable price difference I'm tempted to just try the cheaper one and see what happens.

Riley