SuperMicro E300

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
What is the story with this case? When you buy just the enclosure does it come literally not come with -anything- except for the case? No fan try, no riser bracket, drive plate etc.?

Does it include the 4 pin to DC power adapter cable thing? If not is there a part number for it or does anyone know of an official Supermicro 24/8/4 pin to DC adapter board thing?

Anyone know if the Datto MB10 would work with that 4 pin DC input?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
You mean E300 case ?

If that’s the case then I thought it had fan retainer (tray) and a single fan, but missing most things needed , makes the superserver config seem a decent price.

Arvind Sankar

Dec 6, 2018
I recently bought this case from NewEgg (note the one sold by NewEgg themselves which is maybe $10 more expensive than the cheapest, I figured that one was the most likely to come with all the accessories -- I checked with one guy on eBay who was selling it brand new and he said no riser card bracket), and it came with one fan, the riser card bracket (but not the riser card or the screws required to install the riser to the bracket, regular motherboard screws work for that -- it comes with the screws to install the bracket to the case and one screw to install the addin card), the dc to 4-pin cable already installed, the front panel cable, molex to sata cable, 4 2.5in hdd screws and 6 motherboard screws. I don't think there is a separate plate for the 2.5in hdd in this model, it just screws into either the top (there's one plate below the top panel that is always installed which can take 1-2 2.5in hdd's depending on cpu heatsink height/add in card usage), or the bottom of the case below the add in card space if you use a mITX board.

Separately, the RSC-RR1U-E8 is really annoyingly a closed-end pcie x8 so no x16 cards will fit it without modification. I'm thinking of getting an RSC-RR1U-E16 instead, which looks like it might fit the bracket if I tape over the stud for the x8 riser.

Arvind Sankar

Dec 6, 2018
Regarding the Datto motherboard I think Patrick had a review somewhere where he said it required both 8-pin EPS and ATX, so you'd need a picoPSU or something to use it in this, plus the back I/O plate will not fit well I suspect -- one of the screws for the top panel of this case screws into a hole on the I/O plate, though it's probably not going to be any real interference with a different plate.

Edited to add: also, you will need a front-panel breakout cable for a non-SM motherboard, the case doesn't come with that.

If you want a Datto motherboard, btw, I have an MB10-DS3 rev 1.4 (D-1541) I got off of eBay that I am willing to sell. It's been tested with 16x memtest86. It lacks an I/O plate and has a passive heatsink, from BMC info is a Penguin Computing pull.

Last edited: