CPU upgrade from Xeon D-1541 for Media Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
XEON E-2100 uses UDIMMS only according to Patrick's write-up. :(
Oh damn. Well as great of a value as I see in the Xeon E-2100, I'm seeing it as less of an option for me. I don't want to spend $1000 on CPU/MoBo combo that I can't expand and grow with and that is just a fact since it doesn't come with an HBA or 10Gb networking.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
How about the E3-v5 series? The integrated intel graphics can he passed through to the plex docker in unraid. Have experimented with 4 4k streams and and it handles transcoding without a sweat. I run almost the exact same unraid setup as you do on the apps side. X11SSH-CTF + E3-1275v5.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I used an e5-1680v3 which was awesome - high single core clock speed etc.
X10srl-f motherboard for lots of pci lanes for HBAs etc. Can be found pretty cheaply these days.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
How about the E3-v5 series? The integrated intel graphics can he passed through to the plex docker in unraid. Have experimented with 4 4k streams and and it handles transcoding without a sweat. I run almost the exact same unraid setup as you do on the apps side. X11SSH-CTF + E3-1275v5.
Not enough cores. I need vCPUs for VMs in addition to my Plex workload.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I think this is what you need-

X11SPM-TPF | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc. paired with

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-xeon-silver-4108-linux-benchmarks-and-review/

The price will approximately be close to 1,000-1,200.

It will give you all the cores you need, in the near future when prices drop :D This is my dream board, and processor for now.
I'm considering the Silver 4114. The 4108 is zero upgrade over my Xeon D-1541 with regard to video transcoding.

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Noctua, Dynatron, and Supermicro but apparently EKWB has a water block. I'm going with the Noctua for my 6138 build.
Which Noctua? I've been reading that some of theirs are oriented poorly and thus the fans don't blow towards where most would have an exhaust fan.

jahsoul

Dec 13, 2013
War Eagle Country
Which Noctua? I've been reading that some of theirs are oriented poorly and thus the fans don't blow towards where most would have an exhaust fan.
Yep. I have NO idea why Noctua designed those fans that way when majority (all but 1, I think) of 3647 motherboards didn't have the CPU oriented that way. I really wanted the U14S but because of this, I'm more than likely going with the D9

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Yep. I have NO idea why Noctua designed those fans that way when majority (all but 1, I think) of 3647 motherboards didn't have the CPU oriented that way. I really wanted the U14S but because of this, I'm more than likely going with the D9
When are you starting your build? Curious about how the D9 performs.

jahsoul

Dec 13, 2013
War Eagle Country
When are you starting your build? Curious about how the D9 performs.
It will be around the middle of January. I have everything except the motherboard and case. I want to go mATX but at the same time want to avoid Supermicro (really don't care to use IPMItools to control Noctua fans when others have fan controls equivalent to their consumer motherboard) but I don't see anyone else coming out with a mATX 3647 motherboard, so Supermicro it is.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
It's really quiet and cool. No issues with a Xeon Gold 5119T. Idle temps in the mid 30s. Planning to get one more in January to use in a new workstation build.
Nice! What made you go with the 5119t over something like the Silver 4116? I see the Gold as more than double the price.

Ixian

Oct 26, 2018
Currently I have a Xeon D-1541 in my AOI media server that runs about 15 dockers and 3-4 VMs. I'm looking to get a little more horse power in the CPU department for Plex.

Currently I have this board: ASRock Rack > D1541D4U-2O8R
I have the 10G-T version of that board/SOC. You're sure the CPU is your limiting factor for Plex, right, and you know more clocks will fix the problem for sure? I ask because I run an Emby server (same use as Plex) on mine along with a bunch of Dockers and really don't have any problems with it. It handles multiple transcodes, can zap through things like Roku thumnail generation quickly (this uses ffmpeg and will max your cores if you let it) and so on. And I'm able to keep it quiet and cool.

As you've probably gathered from the thread so far you're going to pay a fairly pretty penny to upgrade what you have now along with some compromises. There's no straight path to "exactly what I have now, just faster and under $1500". And you may not need it. What problems are you seeing now? There may be other ways to alleviate them.

Things may change in a few months as the Xeon-E becomes more widely distributed, etc.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I have the 10G-T version of that board/SOC. You're sure the CPU is your limiting factor for Plex, right, and you know more clocks will fix the problem for sure? I ask because I run an Emby server (same use as Plex) on mine along with a bunch of Dockers and really don't have any problems with it. It handles multiple transcodes, can zap through things like Roku thumnail generation quickly (this uses ffmpeg and will max your cores if you let it) and so on. And I'm able to keep it quiet and cool.

As you've probably gathered from the thread so far you're going to pay a fairly pretty penny to upgrade what you have now along with some compromises. There's no straight path to "exactly what I have now, just faster and under $1500". And you may not need it. What problems are you seeing now? There may be other ways to alleviate them.

Things may change in a few months as the Xeon-E becomes more widely distributed, etc.
There is nothing wrong with my setup. I just want more headroom. I too have no issues with any live transcoding. I often have 7-10 streams going per night and usually most are transcodes. I do have many users who mobile sync and speeding up that process would be nice. But mainly I just want my system to be expandable. For about $1100 I can get a Xeon Silver 4114 which would be about a 40% upgrade with regard to to trancoding plus 4 extra vCPUs for VMs. Being that I'm going to sell my currrent board it won't be that much out of pocket for the upgrade, plus I'll have the ability to setup up to a Xeon Gold in the future if prices drop.

Was able to get a QS version for a good price.
Sick!