HPE ProLiant Microserver Gen10 Advice/ Suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
Since I know a lot of us are buying the X3216 versions, I wanted to note quickly that there is an onboard 7-pin SATA port but no power. You can use a molex splitter than a Molex -> SATA cable and power a SSD where the

Molex Splitter Pack:
https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Molex-Power-Supply-Splitter/dp/B07945ZZ59/
Molex to SATA Pack
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-3-Pack-Molex-Power/dp/B00STNUB04/

I had the extra SATA cable sitting around. Buying both an using Velcro + SATA cables laying around saved me $6 on the first machine and I have enough to do another versus getting the official SSD enablement kit.
These work well for using the power connector in the ODD bay, FDD to SATA:
4-pin Floppy FDD to SATA Power Converter Adapter Cable Compatible w/ Dell MX714 | eBay

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
This morning, I read some of HP Gen10 with Linux, OMV , FreeeNAS threads and blogs.
Lots of problems during installation.
The problems happened in 2017 and early 2018, I am hoping most of the software problem is resolved now.

I ended up purchased 2 units. Keeping fingers and toes crossed.

Leaving these links here, it also included workarounds and solutions.
HP microserver Gen10 - openmediavault

Installation stops after a few seconds on a Microserver Gen10

BUILD - HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Entry - Opteron X3216 - ECC RAM - FreeNAS compatible?

FreeNAS installation workaround
Fresh Install of FreeNAS-11.1 on HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 X3216
221350 – Unable to boot/install on HPE Proliant MicroServer Gen10 (AMD Opteron X3000): Hangs/Panics

This link is the most comprehensive version of workaround for FreeNAS
Fix for FreeNAS on HPE MicroServer Gen10 X3216 Stuck Console Issue
I have run the latest version of OMV on a MS Gen10 x3421, with no issues.

Reactions: Marsh

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
One issue to be careful of on the MS Gen10 is the height of addin cards. They can not be taller than the low profile bracket, as they can only be installed with the motherboard tray slid out.
Here are some cards I have used in the MS Gen10:
Dual M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 adapter with M.2 SATA
https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Adapter-Controller-Expansion-Profile/dp/B077YHFJZM
Always looking for interesting PCIe x1 cards:
4 Port SATA x1 PCIe
4 Port SATA III PCI-E 2.0 x1
Dual port Gigabit NIC Intel 82576 PCIe x1
Intel 82576 Chip Gigabit Network Adapter (Nic), Dual RJ45 Port, Same as E1G42ET 603149403543 | eBay
Dual mSATA PCIe x1 (barely fits):
SEDNA PCI Express Dual mSATA III (6G) SSD Adapter with Low profile Bracket, SSD not included - Newegg.com

I had high hopes for the AQN-108 5GbE PCIe x1 card, but the MS Gen10 will not power on with it installed:
AQtion AQN-108 - Aquantia Corp

Last edited:

Miguel Antunes

Aug 3, 2019
Hi guys,

Does anyone know which cables do I need to get to install an SSD using a caddy in the DVD Drive in the Microserver Gen10?
I know I'll probably need a SATA cable as I think none are included.

But which cable do I need to get to power the drive? I've seen a couple options:
- Molex Splitter + Molex to Sata Adapter
- FDD to Sata Adapter
Which one is the best?

Is there any other option?

Schoondoggy

Apr 26, 2017
Hi guys,

Does anyone know which cables do I need to get to install an SSD using a caddy in the DVD Drive in the Microserver Gen10?
I know I'll probably need a SATA cable as I think none are included.

But which cable do I need to get to power the drive? I've seen a couple options:
- Molex Splitter + Molex to Sata Adapter
- FDD to Sata Adapter
Which one is the best?

Is there any other option?
You will need a SATA cable.
For power I tend to use FDD to SATA. This one works well:
4-pin Floppy FDD to SATA Power Converter Adapter Cable Compatible withDell MX714 | eBay

Reactions: Miguel Antunes

lcars

Apr 8, 2020
I had what I thought was a simple question about the Marvell 88SE9230 controller that comes with this machine, but have found lots of contradictory information. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to reliably set this server up with JBOD/HBA passthrough to use FreeNAS/FreeBSD and ZFS.

I'm still learning forum culture here, so it's no problem if creating a new thread is preferable.

A recent post from a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Employee claims no: MicroServer Gen10 HBA Mode - Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community

But the description for the Marvell Storage Utility HPE provides says yes: Drivers & Software - HPE Support Center.

I've read through comments on the servethehome reviews of this server, and while I see others ask the same question haven't spotted an answer.

Among the materials posted earlier in this thread includes complaints from the FreeNAS community about trying to use this controller in AHCI mode: BUILD - HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Entry - Opteron X3216 - ECC RAM - FreeNAS compatible?

But that's from a few years ago.

Hoping someone actually using this server can give a thumbs up/thumbs down on JBOD/HBA passthrough with FreeNAS/FreeBSD? If it's a yes, then it means the x8 PCI express slot remains free...

I'm interested right now because this server is going for about $260 new at Provantage (PROVANTAGE: HPE 873830-S01 HPE Smart Buy Proliant MicroServer Gen10 X3216 Dual Core 8GB 4LFF 200W 1-Year)