New server advice please - SM 5028-TN4T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sfxer

Dec 15, 2018
Hi, and greetings from the UK

I have a few questions before dropping a load of money!

I have an aging ml350g6 and a n40l media server.

I am very taken by the SuperMicro 5028 mini tower with Xeon-D 1541.

Currently my ml350 holds my vm's (server 2008r2, wds, dc, dhcp/dns etc.) along with some other vm's.

My n40l has a p410 with 6 x wd red 3tbdrives and is my main storage server.

I am keen to reduce power usage and the idea of one small box is nice.

Id like some advice on the config of the new Supermicro -
I am intending to get their S3108L-H8iR pcie raid card as I like raid 10. I will get 4 x 8-12TB (depending on price) drives to go in the hot swap bays. This will mostly be for my main media and file server to use as storage.

I will also be dropping hyper-v and getting into esxi, so my main question is how to make best use of the other storage options, I will run esxi off a usb key as that seems the most recommended way to do it?

I was considering either getting 2 fast sata ssd's and a second breakout cable for the raid card and running them in raid 1 for my vm's and then using the big raid 10 array just for storage.

Otherwise maybe get a single Samsung nvm 1tb pro for example and put that in the motherboard slot?
I have read that the ssd's can perform badly in raid 1 in esxi and a single nvm would be much better?

Is there any room to squeeze more 3.5" drives in like I did with my n40l? not necessary I know.

Has anyone run this raid card in this same setup? does it run too hot? I know it is the recommended one for this server but I gather the lsi cards do get hot?

Basicaly I want a decent vm platform and all my media and file storage needs to be taken care of by this box.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.
Cheers

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
There really isn't any room for other 3.5" drives - just the 4x in the hot-swap chassis.
You only have a single PCIe slot, so consider if you want to use a HW raid card or go with SW raid and leave that for other networking or a PCIe SSD AIC.

It is a great little box - I have one with 2x 2.5" SSD and 4x 10T 3.5" spinners for a little archive server.

sfxer

Dec 15, 2018
thanks for the reply Blinky, do you run a raid card in the server? I have a p410 in my HP and it runs fine but I have been reading terrible things about the heat off the supermicro lsi cards though.