Disable Emulex OneConnect boot ROM?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
I have too many cards with ROMs and was unable to get into the BIOS at all until I disabled the boot ROM of my ConnectX-4. I'd like to disable the ROM of my Emulex OneConnect card too but I can't find any information on how to do it, if it's even possible at all.

The card is an OCE14102-NX. I managed to figure out how to update the firmware but there doesn't seem to be an option to remove the boot ROM. I did turn off everything in the ROM menu but it's still taking up memory.

Is it possible to disable the Emulex's boot ROM?

My plan 'B' is to replace it with a CX-3 card but I'd at least like to try to get the Emulex to play well with others.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
What motherboard are you using? Often times there is an option in your MB's firmware to disable the "Option ROM" of the installed PCI cards; this will prevent the BIOS/UEFI from loading the ROMs during initialization, but the device should still be usable from inside your (modern) OS.

Just a reminder that if you disable a device's option ROM, it will not be available pre-boot, e.g. you won't see any disks attached to the storage controller.

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
That's a good suggestion but I do need to be able to boot off of a SAS2008 so I can't globally turn all the Option ROMs off.

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
I just learned something. Thank you! I was able to disable the ROM for the slot and now the Emulex ROM no longer activates during boot.