Diagnosing SMB3 multichannel

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gnomesenpai

Dec 6, 2018
Hey guys, new user here, so i've got a Windows server 2016 box and windows both with with 2x1gbp/s intel I350 nics and yet for some reason SMB multichannel only works one way (Server to client) The server and client have both nics on same subnet/network and they used to work perfectly fine till i had to reinstall my Win 10 box due to the store breaking and the server due to a ransomware hit.

RSS settings on nics have been maxed same with any buffers, Get-SmbServer/ClientConfiguration shows that its enabled and if I read from the server get the full 220MB/s, Server has 4x3TB WD Reds in a Hardware WBC Raid5 and the Windows 10 is using an SSD. Any help for this rather annoying issue? Standard writes to the server over multichannel are in the 40MB/s if i unplug a nic it shoots back up to 120MB/s. I'm at a loss.

Stefan75

Jan 22, 2018
Switzerland
When I was playing with multichannel I gave the 2nd net a different subnet without default gateways.
Used windows 10 with intel/realtek and windows server with broadcom nic.
The 200MB/s worked both ways, but not with every filemanager/tool.