AMD EPYC 7371 Review Now The Fastest 16 Core CPU

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Very interesting.
One thing that to be AMD really has going is the 8 dimm slots, outside of the majors most boards for scalable are only seening 6, or 8 in an unbalanced way.
Ignoring the power consumption it’s a pretty much perfect cpu !

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
Pity there aren't really any great workstation boards for Epyc yet. It looks like the Gigabyte MZ01-CE0 is about as good as it gets, and that's a qualified win vs. a X399 board. More PCIe lanes, 2x the RAM channels, and much higher RAM limits, but not enough USB3 ports, no audio, no BT or WiFi (which end up being annoyingly useful every now and then). You'll end up burning a slot or two for the things that are missing. All of the bigger Epyc boards (MZ31-AR0, KNPA-U16) put the memory in the way of the PCI slots, so you can't plug long cards (GPUs) into most of the slots.

The Asrock Rack EPYCD8-2T would probably be a winner if it was actually a thing that could be purchased. 7 PCIe slots, 4 x16. I can't find one for sale anywhere on the Internet.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The EPYCD8-2T is not in the market yet from what I am told.

Funny you should mention the MZ01-CE0 and this chip. Did you see the part of this review on page 5 where I mentioned trying the 7371 as a desktop to write the review? Perhaps a review is coming :)

Reactions: eva2000

psannz

Jun 15, 2016
Im pretty sure that dual socket epyc cpus (non p versions) can be used in single socket systems...
True, but you only get 64 PCIe lanes per CPU keeping the remaining 64 locked to connect the (not installed/installable) second CPU, while the P version gives you access to the full 128 PCIe lanes.

I' thinking reeeeealllly fast (v)SAN heads here.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Right. They are the same SerDes that do Infinity Fabric and PCIe. In dual socket systems they link together for Infinity Fabric between sockets.

A good test, configure a PowerEdge R7415 with full NVMe drives for a fast vSAN node. Then see available CPUs. There are more than just the P series parts. The P series parts can only work in single socket systems.

The other side is that if you put a non-P part in a dual socket AMD EPYC motherboard, it will effectively only have 64x lanes. This is because the physical wires from Socket 0's PCIe/ IF pins are routed to Socket 1.

So to get 128x lanes from a non-P part, you need to have them in a single socket system/ motherboard.