File transfer oddness on 10Gb

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kingmer

Nov 19, 2017
So i recently upgraded my network to 10 Gb so i could move large files around quicker..but i am running into some issues.

Transfering say an 8gig file from conputer 1 running windows 10 from an ssd to my server running running 2016 over 10 gb ethernet to another ssd hanging off an lsi -24i card (dont remember the model # but it is the 12 gig pcie 3version)

It transfers from betwenn 500-750 (vs the 112 i was getting with 1gb ethernet) however when the file gets near the end - the transfer rate drops to 0-50 ....

Where do i even start to look at where the issue is?

manfri

Nov 19, 2015
So i recently upgraded my network to 10 Gb so i could move large files around quicker..but i am running into some issues.

Transfering say an 8gig file from conputer 1 running windows 10 from an ssd to my server running running 2016 over 10 gb ethernet to another ssd hanging off an lsi -24i card (dont remember the model # but it is the 12 gig pcie 3version)

It transfers from betwenn 500-750 (vs the 112 i was getting with 1gb ethernet) however when the file gets near the end - the transfer rate drops to 0-50 ....

Where do i even start to look at where the issue is?
usually on the write side, windows file copy tend to read and cache in memory and report this speed, then when the read phase is terminated and you are writing the transfer rate reported drop.

performance monitor to identify real read and write speed on source and target system, iperf... the usual..

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
Usually that drop is associated with the destination target running out of memory to cache what's still incoming. An easy way to watch this happen is open up Task Manager, Performance, and look at your used RAM. Initiate the transfer and watch the RAM, on the destination machine, start filling up to a certain point and then it'll stop. When the RAM stops from caching you'll see the speeds tank. As @manfri suggested start doing some benchmarking to find out where the bottleneck is at.