Cheap 1U PCIe M.2 Riser - why don't they exist?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I've used a number of these 1U M.2 adapters and really like them.

Now what I'd like to find is a 1U adapter with and 2x M.2 slots, one on each side of the board, set up to plug into an x4+x4 bifurcated PCIe x8 slot. I want this to use with the FlexATX X11SDV Xeon D boards in a 1U chassis with up to 5 M.2 NVMe drives (two in each PCIe slot and one on the motherboard).

Not that important - but if anybody has seen such a thing would appreciate a pointer.

Reactions: Jepong

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
I just received my M.2 riserlets, and I've made some pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xuiqj3m3tFXij1VS9 (public; no Google account required).

So, yes, that fits, but 80mm only. The SSD I put in is not the one that I will eventually be using; this rather slow client SSD was just to test that things work as advertised. And indeed: I get the 1.7 Gbyte/s read speed and 680 Mbyte/s write speed according to the specs for this SSD.

A possible issue that I see (though that's due to my mainboard, not due to the riser), is that I will get hard to mount the heat sink and to have it not push against the CPU heat sink.

metag

Apr 26, 2016
I just got the latest version from manufacturer. Now this version can perfectly support my C6220 II. Check it out! (The bottom one in the first picture.)
View attachment 8223 View attachment 8225 View attachment 8226 View attachment 8227 View attachment 8228
Hi Larry,

I recently bought some of those cards from Taobao thanks to your pointers. However, the cards I got did not come with the screws to secure the NVMe drive as shown in your screenshot. Did you source the screws by yourself or they came with your card?

Update: I talked to the seller. They forgot to include the screws. I ended up buying some M3 bolts (8mm length) and nuts (2 per bolt) off Amazon per seller's suggestions. They worked pretty well.

Last edited:

anoother

Dec 2, 2016
Interesting... I was considering 3D brinting an extension bracket for the ECM25 if I end up needing a 22110 SSD at any point.