what SAS cable do I need (DAS to HOST)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hatbrox

Jul 28, 2011
Hello,

I refurbishing an old PC Case into a DAS. It'll have 4 Internal 3.5" SATA HDDs

Now I need to connect these 4 HDD to my motherboard's SATA ports. That motherboard is inside another PC Case, 50cm away. I guess you would call this PC the host.

My research lead me to believe that SAS is the better option for maximum performance and reliability. As long as I stay under 100 Euros for these SAS cables, I'll say yes.

But the more I learn about SAS, the more I'm lost. There seems to be so many SAS SFF XXXX connectors and all sorts of other names related to SAS!

My host case is very slim with only 1 PCI bracket that I use for video card. The only way to get a cable out of the case is through motherboard I/O back panel (or drill the case).
there is no possibility to install a SAS HBA/Cards... And the motherboard only has SATA connectors.

My DAS case will only have a power supply and the HDD, PCI bracket and I/O panel are free.

Functionally, this is what I hoping for:
Cable 1: A "fork" cable with:
4 SATA cables that I connect to the motherboard's SATA ports, the 4 cables are joined together into a SFF connector.
The SFF connector will go outside the host through the I/O back panel.

Cable 2: A "fork" cable with:
4 SATA cables that I connect to the 4 3.5" HDD,
the 4 cables are joined together into a SFF connector.
The SFF connector can go outside the DAS through the I/O back panel or using a PCI bracket.

I was hoping cable 1 and 2 could be directly connected. I think that's not possible. Or is it?
Else, I think I need a 50/100cm (mini?) SAS cable with SFF-8088 connector on both ends?

Is this doable?

Cheers,

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
MB ports->SFF8087/Sata REVERSE breakout cable->SFF8087/SFF8088 bulkhead->SFF8088-SFF8088 cable->SFF8088/SFF8087 bulkhead->SFF8087 FORWARD breakout cable->Drives.
Or, if your SATA ports support port multipliers, and if you don't care about absolute performance, look at doing sata->Esata->port multiplier->drives.

hatbrox

Jul 28, 2011
thanks for the list! I missed the REVERSE and FORWARD terms.

I can find the 2 breakout cables and the SFF8088 cable but what is the SFF8087/SFF8088 bulkhead?