10gb SFP+ Card Recco

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kingmer

Nov 19, 2017
Can anyone recommend a newish 10gb NIC w/sfp+ that will work with Win 10 pro...that will not break the bank?

-Kingmer

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
yeah, the most recent version of mellanox's driver completely got rid of support for the connectx2 series (on nix anyway, haven't looked at the windows driver). Granted it will be a long time until distros start including that driver (especially since it will drop connectx2's), but better to be prepared for when it does happen

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
yeah, the most recent version of mellanox's driver completely got rid of support for the connectx2 series
That's strange. Most of the cx-2 came from hp(e) servers, some of them are supported until december 2020...
Or do you mean that when you download the mellanox package that it doesn't list the cx-2 as supported?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
That's strange. Most of the cx-2 came from hp(e) servers, some of them are supported until december 2020...
Or do you mean that when you download the mellanox package that it doesn't list the cx-2 as supported?
Mellanox themselves supporting something and HP continuing to use an older driver for support in the shipped(not new) operating systems are separate concepts in this instance.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I mean the latest driver from mellanox will not even bring cx2 cards up on boot. Hpe is supporting them until 2020 because they use an older 3.x driver from mellanox instead of the new 4.x. I'd imagine most vendors/nix distros will do the same for a couple more years

koisama

Oct 22, 2018
yeah, the most recent version of mellanox's driver completely got rid of support for the connectx2 series (on nix anyway, haven't looked at the windows driver). Granted it will be a long time until distros start including that driver (especially since it will drop connectx2's), but better to be prepared for when it does happen
Ouch, just bought a bunch of cx-2 not knowing it. But at $13 a piece I can't really complain.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
yeah, the most recent version of mellanox's driver completely got rid of support for the connectx2 series (on nix anyway, haven't looked at the windows driver).
Checked today my brothers workstation which has a connect-x2. The windows version of mellanox driver 5.50 works without problems.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
it's in the MLX_EN driver for linux in which it's been discontinued, 4.4-2.0.7.0 and up. Given that their windows driver tends to lag feature wise behind the MLX_EN driver, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same thing in the windows driver in the next 6 months to a year