Good for pfSense?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
power hog. the P4 and Core 2 era was a serious power and thus HEAT.

I'd just do the L5639 deal man. it's awesome little cpu.

BigWorm

Sep 3, 2012
Thanks for the feedback! I know it is a lot of power just for pfSense, but damn the price is cheap! But my other worries is the power draw on a much older chip. Sounds like a skip this one and keep looking.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Pfsense used to suck with anything multi-core, but what do i know...
Ipfire would turn your router into something useful with packages for plenty of software and even virtualisation, if you would get a heater like that. No, virtual adapters suck on BSD, yes, also vmwarez paravirtual adapters.

morpheus256

Mar 21, 2012
Install ESXi on a USB stick, use the 160GB for a datastore, create a VM for PFSense give it 1 core and 512MB of ram and there you have it :) plus you'll have enough ram for a few more VM's

bwillcox

Jan 20, 2013
Tejas
My pfsense system is one of the 1u Supermicro Atom D525 boxen that Patrick reviewed here previously. They will actually take 8gb of RAM. It Is a sweet little box and keeps up with my 50/25 FiOS with no problem. Probably will be on sale soon with the newer Avoton and Rangeley models coming out too.

The only thing I do not like about it is the power supply fan is kind of whiny on mine.

-b-

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
My pfsense system is one of the 1u Supermicro Atom D525 boxen that Patrick reviewed here previously. They will actually take 8gb of RAM. It Is a sweet little box and keeps up with my 50/25 FiOS with no problem. Probably will be on sale soon with the newer Avoton and Rangeley models coming out too.

The only thing I do not like about it is the power supply fan is kind of whiny on mine.

-b-
I was thinking of upgrading, but the only way that happens is if I can ADD more functionality over the Atom D525. For pfsense, the Atom D525 is plenty. I don't think I would run MariaDB on it though.

artbird309

Feb 19, 2013
I have been thinking about adding a small Avoton and Rangeley system and running ESXi on it with pfsense, a small Windows DC, DNS, and maybe split scoop DHCP, maybe another always running VM.

This way when I take down my All-In-One server or the NAS os everything doesn't die. But its hard to justify the cost and power usage another box would take.

BigWorm

Sep 3, 2012
I ended up using a spare pc I had.

Motherboard: Gigabyte H61M-S2PV
CPU: Intel Pentium G620

The problem now is I find that this is way overkill as this machine pretty much sits ideal. I still want to figure something else to put it on.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
The G620 has VT-x so I'd just run ESXi 5.5 and have pfsense in a VM

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
If you are building a box with the intent of vitalizing, especially Pfsense, make sure the motherboard and processor supports VT-d in addition to VT-x. VT-d allows you to pass PCI devices through to the guest VM. This is important for pfsense IOT pass through your WAN NIC. Checkout the E3-1200v3 processors. Nice low idle power!

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
If you are building a box with the intent of vitalizing, especially Pfsense, make sure the motherboard and processor supports VT-d in addition to VT-x. VT-d allows you to pass PCI devices through to the guest VM. This is important for pfsense IOT pass through your WAN NIC. Checkout the E3-1200v3 processors. Nice low idle power!
Because the Pentiums don't have VT-d, I just make a vSwitch for my untrusted side and give it a physical NIC and a vNIC for pfsense.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
pass through is overrated ;) use SR-IOV with flreset so you can run pfsense in HA or FT mode ;)

seriously. The vt-d 1:1 pass through crap limits your ability to snapshot/vmotion/svmotion/ha/ft plus it can crash the card which can crash the pci bus and take out the entire host.

SR-IOV(1:n:1) cards are plenty, but flreset is rather new. The new hotness is mr-iov (n:n:1) for blades.