Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
That all looks fine, for the 1gb NIC I would probably go with intel just for better compatibility (no clue what driver stack the supermicro uses).
  • Good call.
for the 10gb card, mellanox connectx2 or connectx3, just be sure to update the firmware on whichever you buy
  • So I was actually hoping to use the 10Gb NICs built into my mobo ...
Example - ESXi-01 Host
  • GLAN1 [Intel X540] => Cat6 => S+RJ10 | 6450-24 | SFP+ Port 1/4
  • GLAN2 [Intel X540] => Cat6 => S+RJ10 | 6450-24 | SFP+ Port 2/4
Link to original for reference: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...icx6450-icx6610-etc.21107/page-44#post-207580

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Check the "useful posts" section of the threads first post, it links to a post on long distance stacking. They'll take any transciever, from high power bidi to fibrechannel optics, doesn't need to be brocade brand. A few people in the last 5 or 6 pages of this thread are stacking long distance using them

Reactions: dwright1542

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Check the "useful posts" section of the threads first post, it links to a post on long distance stacking. They'll take any transciever, from high power bidi to fibrechannel optics, doesn't need to be brocade brand. A few people in the last 5 or 6 pages of this thread are stacking long distance using them
I suck. Not sure how I missed that in the useful posts section

Last edited:

ljvb

Nov 8, 2015
That would be me.. define long distance. I am using 50M cable linked to on the first page, and did the key swap. Works no problem for me (even though the the switches are acutlaly on top of each other till I run the conduit (working on bathroom.. conduit is the next project, in crawlspace to the second floor).

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
That would be me.. define long distance. I am using 50M cable linked to on the first page, and did the key swap. Works no problem for me (even though the the switches are acutlaly on top of each other till I run the conduit (working on bathroom.. conduit is the next project, in crawlspace to the second floor).
400ft.

Haven't run the cable yet, I'm still trying to cost out OM4 Bidi vs SMF vs MTP. I've pretty much ruled out MTP because of the sheer number of fibers(2 40G and 2 10G minimum), even though the Bidi transceivers are significantly more expensive.

juey

Oct 1, 2018
Germany
Im having a problem on my 6610 with port 1/2/8, its not going up. Ive tested with a FS DAC Breakout (coded to Brocade) and a Intel X520-DA2 plugged in my ESXi (The breakouts are labeled 1-4, the intel nic is connected via 1 and 2). However, when i connect the Cable to the upper Port, everythings fine, e.g. port 1/2/3 comes up. Is there a way to find out whats broken ? I have 3Y warranty so i could replace the switch if necessary.

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
Im having a problem on my 6610 with port 1/2/8, its not going up. Ive tested with a FS DAC Breakout (coded to Brocade) and a Intel X520-DA2 plugged in my ESXi (The breakouts are labeled 1-4, the intel nic is connected via 1 and 2). However, when i connect the Cable to the upper Port, everythings fine, e.g. port 1/2/3 comes up. Is there a way to find out whats broken ? I have 3Y warranty so i could replace the switch if necessary.
Long shot as well... Are you sure the cable is "inserted" correctly? If I recall correctly (I'll have to go to my switch and look) you have to flip the cable to insert into the upper vs lower port in the back.

Reactions: fohdeesha

AiC

Oct 28, 2018
Been through all 46 pages, I was convinced on page 1 to get a 6450-24P, now I'm just waiting on the console cable to get things setup. This will be my first go at managed switches. Thanks for all the great info...

mpennett

Apr 11, 2017
Still in love with my 6610 and have pretty much gotten use to the noise level and it is livable. It's overkill for me as I am only using a quarter of the 1g's, half of the 10g's, but am using both 40's. It's also nice knowing I'll likely never need to buy another switch unless I really want 10g rj45 which is just meh. fs.com was also quite happy I got it as well. lol

juey

Oct 1, 2018
Germany
I love the 6610, but ive seen some drawbacks, though they are not show killer:
- only 2048 bit rsa keys for challenge response pubkey auth
- no ecc keys possible (cannot use my auth keys on my nitrokey :/)
- multicast snooping not available in vlan 1 ?
- lag configuration is a bit confusing, have to disable or disconnect the second port first, then deploy it then reconnect for not being blocked by rstp

However, the Performance is astonishing :)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
the older SSH daemon is certainly annoying, if not common with network gear

multicast snooping should definitely work on vlan 1 (did this some time ago), did you enable it on the VE or did you try it on the vlan itself?

The layer 3 firmware image in the update guide does not have stp/rstp enabled by default, so if there's port blocking going on during config it must be the switch/device at the other end. That's typical of LACP configuration on any device though, there's not really an easy way of plugging in two links beforehand and have it not get either disabled or cause a broadcast storm. Same on cisco & juniper, in fact their docs tell you to manually disable one of the ports first

juey

Oct 1, 2018
Germany
yeah well, i could disable aes in cbc mode but im still limited to 2k rsa keys, i dont get it...

Seems to be that its not possible to use igmp snooping on the default vlan, according to the ruckus ip multicast traffic guide, if i tried to enable it on vlan 1 i got a error message that its not possible to enable multicast snooping on vlan 1.

I know that stp is disabled in l3 by default, i explicitly enabled it on my vlan and set the priority to 0, which makes the brocade the root bridge so the brocade blocks the ports. Didnt know that behaviour before, my Cisco SG350 Switch has no problems defining a lag without having to shut down one link port.
Thanks for the input :)