Meraki

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Is there anybody here that know and works with Meraki much ?

I realize the MR access points have the full layer7 functions but if you say use a MX as your firewall and Cisco aironet access points what do you loose in visabilty of what users are doing ? I assume the MX would still see what easy user does ? Just won’t know any details about physical location beyond the uplink port ?
Same story I assume if using a port on the MX as an uplink and adding a 3rd part switch ?

Does a mixed network with Meraki work at all where essentially your using the MX as an internet firewall and UTM or you really need Meraki as 100% of the network devices ?

The new MX67/MX68 seem ok and compared to the now very ASA5506-X with the NGFW code loaded. But is keeping with Cisco and fanless / or low power is a requirement then not many options.

Any info thoughts or opinions welcome.
(Yes aware the Meraki IPv6 functionality is severely lacking)

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Im running a number of mixed vendor networks with meraki involved.

You lose the complete visibility to the end device, but unless you have a really Big/complicated network, i dont see the huge issues tbh.

I love the Client drill-down features so i Can see what a paticular user is using bw on.. comes in handy quite often.

If you need the layer7 features and the Pick is between the Asa family and meraki. I’d go with meraki. Consider the advance license aswell - and they have umbrella implementation coming aswell - really Nice stuff!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@maze client drill down still works without non Meraki AP’s right ? You just miss the full end to end info but that’s not really relevant if the AP is directly connected.

Anyway will have a play with one soon and see what it does and doesn’t do but seems in the case I have in mind a really good solution especially if you can just use the MX and keep existing equipment not looking too much in the process.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah spot on.

You should do the webinar and get one to play with.. free stuff :)

psannz

Jun 15, 2016
Well, Meraki is easy to work with, that's for sure. What's annoying is the obscenely high cost of ownership on the switches and access points.
What annoys me most: they don't just charge you an eye and an ear for the hardware but on the subscription license, too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the idea behind Meraki, and I like to use their cloud management systems. If only they'd be more competetive in their (hardware) pricing...
Or unlock/include the features that their prices should warrant.

Right now, it's cheaper for me to get a Cisco Catalyst 3650 switch, than an entry level Meraki MS120 (pure L2 switch, with 1G Uplinks).
I belive that says it all.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Right now, it's cheaper for me to get a Cisco Catalyst 3650 switch, than an entry level Meraki MS120 (pure L2 switch, with 1G Uplinks).
I belive that says it all.
Maybe Cisco's goal since it owns Meraki is to make Cisco products look cheap.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Haha yes the Meraki switch is obscenely expensive !!
The Access Points are so so priced compared to Cisco Aironet.

The MX firewalls are reasonable competitive though.

Hence the questions about a mixed environment and would it work. Seems will work well enough.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Just remember to buy in bulk and go through your am/vsam.. theres decent discounts to be had

psannz

Jun 15, 2016
Just remember to buy in bulk and go through your am/vsam.. theres decent discounts to be had
Wish that were the case in Germany. Then again, Cisco and Meraki have different opinions on competetive quotes in SMB (Focus on S) deployments here, sooooo.... yeah. Will stick with MX and skip the rest.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Really no discounts in Germany ? Just buy up front the support you want eg 5 year advanced security and for sure ask for a discount they certainly have power to give decent % off in atleast a few countries in different sides of the world I am aware of.

zer0gravity

Feb 15, 2013
I've moved from a mixed network to all Meraki. I agree that bulk (wholeseller techdata/ingram micro) along with a rep is your best bet for costs.

As far as access to devices beyond the port level, it can still see traffic but just like any other "smart/managed" device it will not be able to pull much. If it is a cisco device it should be able to give you more details.

I've seen larger banks use meraki MX devices for internal routing and a bigger fortinet or palo alto to connect offices via MPLS / SDWAN.

Last edited: