Best Media Converter, 10GB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I'm looking at a storage array for sale that has 10GBase-T connections for the 10GB connectivity and my switches are Cisco Nexus 5020's which have SFP+.

Does anyone know of a good media converter and rack mount kit? Looking for costs as well.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
He is looking for the reverse, copper to SFP+ fiber but I don’t think I have ever seen anything like that that is not simply just a switch.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I don’t think I have ever seen anything like that that is not simply just a switch.
which is exactly why I linked the s+Rj10, by far the cheapest and cleanest solution to this. He already has SFP+ ports on his switch, he just needs a cat6/7 run from the existing base-T on the server to the module

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
which is exactly why I linked the s+Rj10, buy far the cheapest and cleanest solution to this. He already has SFP+ ports on his switch, he just needs a cat6/7 run from the existing base-T on the server to the module
Haha oh yeah, brain in weekend mode ! Of course the logical thing is do exactly what you said :)

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
Thanks guys, the only question is will it work with a Cisco switch (I know Cisco can be picky).

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
There's a lot of posts about them if you search the forum, I found a report of someone using them between two cisco switches for 10gbe stacking with no issues

maze

Apr 27, 2013
It wont off the bat. But you Can always try with the unsupported transiever command - saves my ass a number of times on nexus switches

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
@maze Thanks, I didn't think it would off the bat. I do remember reading somewhere that there was a command for using unsupported optics on Cisco switches. I'm just hesitant because I don't want to spend the money and not have them work. But on the other hand its definitely a cheaper option to the media converter which is priced any ware from $850 to $1,500 each compared to the $51 each for the optic.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Cisco 10GbEBASE-T SFP+ Copper RJ45 30m Transceiver | FS.COM - that one should work.. Im running two simular ones in my HP/Aruba 2540 sfp+ and they work as intended.

Not a bad price to test it out..

- Can be had cheaper on ebay though.. but FS will help you out if theres any problems. You can just write them before you order to check it out. support is normally pretty helpfull.

Magebarf

Aug 15, 2018
Sweden
I believe the best option has been covered here already, getting a RJ45 SFP+ module, unless you actually need some distance not supported.

In case you do need to have an actual standalone device for doing the conversion, my ISP has been providing Planet XT-705A for their 10Gbit/s customers; XT-705A - Standard 10G Media Converter - PLANET Technology
They also have an industrial version of the same called IXT-705AT.

SFP+ to NBASE-T conversion. For the non-industrial version I've seen it listed at $175.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA

Magebarf

Aug 15, 2018
Sweden
Do you have any experience with the XT-705A you can share? I would be very interested in hearing about the heat generated by the media converter, and if there is a way to disable flow control.
Heat wise the unit is warm to the touch, a few degrees above body temperature, just now. As this is used in a residential setting I guess you can hardly claim I'm pushing the capabilities of the device at the moment, especially as it's just running the NBASE-T port at 1gbit/s to my Edgerouter Lite.

I did some tests yesterday with a second NBASE-T card connected directly to it, where I saw throughput numbers of 2.5-4Gbps, but could not notice any difference in temperature.

It's also a fairly low energy consumption, rated at 3.75W maximum (which must include the SFP+ module at that), and the specs mention 12.8 BTU per hour.

There is no configurable options exposed on my end of things, so I think the flow control is locked in place. I do not believe this converter has any options exposed at all, while the 1gbit/s converter (GT-805A) used before has a management interface exposed on the SFP+ port.

Not impossible that there is some type of way to have it disabled, but I'd guess you better shoot a mail to the support over at Planet to verify that.

Reactions: Evan and pcmoore