P420 in the mail a month ago ... A cookie to whoever notices whats missing!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

N1h1l1ty

Oct 21, 2018
Toronto, Canada
So I got this P420 in the mail about a month ago. Plug er into my DL380E, get the SAS cables plumbed, fire er up ... drives spin once ... then nada. Server doesn't see the controller, spend forever troubleshooting, neither of my HP boxes recognize the controller, debug LEDs aren't any help. Then I bother to actually look at the controller.

I know what's missing, but do you?

N1h1l1ty

Oct 21, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Reddit has suggested this is an L6 inductor. I have very little backgrounds in electronics, but if anyone has any protips on sourcing this, this might go from a funny story / 45 dollar paperweight to a working P420 - Markings read R68 1315

Google search has turned up... very little

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Reddit has suggested this is an L6 inductor. I have very little backgrounds in electronics, but if anyone has any protips on sourcing this, this might go from a funny story / 45 dollar paperweight to a working P420 - Markings read R68 1315

Google search has turned up... very little
Yeah, that's a toughie - there won't happen to be a little inductor inside the shipping material that sheared off, would there? The only thing I can really tell you is that the R68 figure is significant since it tells you the inductance (R) value of the component (68µH), and i am guessing that the 1315 "might" be the max milliamps accepted by the inductor (1.315 Amps?), although some manufacturers use the value to denote the size of a given component. The closest match I can find on Mouser is this, but run it by an Electrical engineer first (I am not an EE), and see if someone here with a working HP P420 can measure out the physical dimensions on that inductor and look for more markings that can help. This can either be a quick buy-solder-and-fix, or it could be an item to be returned on eBay.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I ended up getting a lsi card with a missing part like your card. I messaged the seller and they refunded me and said keep the part. I still have it in my bin of stuff, but without know what goes there or a way to buy it, the card is pretty useless.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
a few years back, i contacted 3Ware (maybe before their acquisition by LSI?) and told them which card I had and which component was missing. they immediate wrote me back with the component spec and a list of suppliers and part numbers I could use to replace the missing part. that was so awesome.... i don't know that they would do that now being part of Avago/Broadcom/LSI/3ware/etc.

Reactions: fohdeesha