Storage pool planning help-home server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Ok, home play/media server environment. Have a 2x E5 server with attached 12 bay home made JBOD case off a LSI 9286-cv8e, intel expander in the case. Have ~8 tb in the box, with mirroring on most of the storage. I'm about to add a 12x2tb xyratex box, and want to setup the pool "correctly", vs adhoc as I did before.
I've currently got 1x SSD in the server case, on intel raid controller, using as the smart swap location and plex cache. The server runs H-V 2016 and a few VMs. In order to move to tiers, I think I would need to add at least one more SSD and create a new storage pool.
Questions:
1: It seems that tiers wants to use a fixed size write cache of 1GB, although you can expand. Does SSD space above that get used for frequently accessed stuff automatically or do I need to manually allocate VM boot drives there?
2: I believe that with tiers one cannot later expand the pool, correct? Or is just that one needs to add drives in multiples of the column size?
3: I'm inclined to do 1 mirrored tiered pool for VM boot drives, and 1 or more "bulk" non-tiered pools for media, is there a reason to just do a single tiered pool? This ties into question #2...
Thanks!

Last edited: